PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's Horse

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Well here is my weekend project. Grandpa had to get into gear and get this rocking horse done before we go to Richmond, Virginia to see the kids next month. This is for my 18 month old grandson. I will post more pictures when it is done hopefully this weekend. Grandma has to do her painting part when I get it stained. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Bernie

Nick Mitchell
05-30-2005, 11:07 PM
That's just great Bernie!

Best Granddad ever!!

Corey Hallagan
05-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Nice work Bernie, that will look great all finished and painted. Keep up the good work.

Corey

Alan Tolchinsky
05-31-2005, 12:45 AM
you use to cut all the curves? BS, jigsaw?

John Hart
05-31-2005, 7:13 AM
Nice horsey grandpa! It'll be in the family for many many years! Where's the tail? :)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-31-2005, 8:29 AM
Bernie,

That is a great looking horse! I am sure your GS will love it :)

Tim Farrell
05-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Very nice - I will be doing the same thing this summer for my kids. Any advice or gotchas to watch out for???

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2005, 1:37 PM
Alan T. I cut all of the horse out on a bandsaw. I only used the scroll saw in one place right where the head comes out of the body as it was pretty tight and was to lazy to put on the 1/8" blade.

Tim F. The only gotcha that I found was it recommended using white pine or plain pine. I found you have to be real careful when drilling the screw holes as the white pine wants to tear. I think if I had to do it again I would use maple or maybe oak.

This summer I am going to make him a wood wagon like I had as a kid. That will be made of oak. He will get that for Christmas. He will be just over 2 yrs. old. Anyway thanks guys. It has been a load of fun. I really like this Grandpa thing.:)

Bernie

Ron Fritz
08-27-2005, 7:53 PM
Bernie; I was searching the net for simple rocking horse plans for my granddaughter when I came across the one you did. Can you tell me where you got the plans to make yours? thanks, Ron

Ed Lang
08-27-2005, 8:55 PM
I live about 50 miles West of Richmond and you are welcome (so are others) to stop by on your way to or from Richmond and say HI! PM for details.

Great horse! I know it will be well received and the wagon in a few months as well.

Looking forward to finished pictures!

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2005, 9:36 PM
Ron,

I will get the guys name that I got mine from. I think he has a website to. I will send you a e-mail with the info.

Ed I will definately look you up next time down. I got to visit a clockmaker in Keysville by the name of Carl MacAdams. He not only repairs clocks he also builds some awesome clocks. The reason I went down to see him was I have a part time clock repair shop. I decided I was going to build some clocks to. I have all kinds of mechanical movements so why not. I have been wanting to do this for some time now. I am about to retire so hopefully can make a little side money.

On the wagon Ed I went to the farm and got me some ash logs about 12 to 14 inches in diameter. I cut them down to 7" X 12" blocks about 60" long with the chainsaw. I have cut those into 1" X 7" X 60" lumber. It was a lot of work but it is free lumber. These trees are dead ash that were killed by spray about 3 to 5 yrs ago by the power company. The wood has about 9% moisture. So I will let it sit a month or so and then go to town. It is a shame to let them go to waste.

Thanks again guys for the kind words. It was definately fun to build and as I said above got the lumber for the wagon so will get started on it.
Bernie

John Renzetti
08-28-2005, 7:35 AM
Hi Bernie, That's a great project you did. You are going to be (and most likey are) a very popular Grandpa. Have fun on your trip to Richmond.
take care,
John