PDA

View Full Version : Roland EXG-350 Cutting Bits For Milling

Peter Berry
09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi Guys, I like some advice on the correct cutting bits, I have been loaned a Roland EGX-350 to mill some plastic and aluminium boxes from solid blocks of said material, the box needs to be 20mm deep, could someone please advise on what bits I would need, if this job comes off, there is a chance I will be able to use the EGX for more work.
Peter

Mark Sipes
09-16-2013, 1:19 PM
Not really sure this is the machine to use to mill out boxes. That is a sizable area of material to have to remove. do you have a vacuum system? Do you have a collet or cutter holder. What size 11/64 or 1/8" ... which ever it is it will require the full widith of the cutter (paralell cutter) or the head will need to be oversized as compared to the shaft since you need to travel inside 20mm deep. How are you going to hold the box during the job run?... the aluminum will require a coolant/lubricant. Need to review the maximun depth of cut. The machine will hold an object 1.6" tall but you may need more distance than that to hold the cutter that is 20mm in length to go inside the box and clear the box edge during job run.

Gary Hair
09-16-2013, 2:44 PM
Definitely not the right equipment for the task at hand. You would have difficulties getting a reasonable finish milling 20mm aluminum with a 1/4" mill, it would be almost impossible to do with an engraving bit. You *might* be able to mill plastic, but with a bit that small it would take days to get that depth due to the shallow passes you would need to take. Send the engraver back and find someone with a proper mill to do the work for you.

Mike Null
09-16-2013, 3:03 PM
Gary is right. That is the wrong equipment. It will do a lousy job, take forever and ruin a lot of cutters.

Ross Moshinsky
09-16-2013, 3:05 PM
I've tried to do some minor milling on our IS6000 (significantly beefier machine) out of Corian. It was under powered, specifically at the spindle. I can't imagine using a Roland machine to do that kind of work. Aluminum would be impossible. Plastic you may get results but it will be slow and very inefficient.

Peter Berry
09-17-2013, 4:32 PM
Thanks guys for the help, appreciate it, back to the drawing board.