PDA

View Full Version : I gave a talk on Sunday to a tool collecting group.

george wilson
09-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Yesterday I drove up to Maclean,Va. and had a suitcase full of my hand made tools. The group was very pleased since they never had someone who actually makes tools come and talk. None of them were members here,and I promoted them joining this site.

Giving talks is something I would like to get into as it is very enjoyable. I was also able to give them some useful tips. Among them was straightening back saw blades,and adjusting their backs so the cutting edge was straight.

They had their outdoors tool flea market. I found what must be,or what must be very close to an 18th. C. blacksmith's post vise. I'll have to take a few pictures and post them. The vise has a decorative housing on the end of the screw. It has nice moldings,and terminates in a nice ball. It is definitely made of wrought iron. I didn't spend too much of my fee on it!!:)

Mel Fulks
09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Looking forward to seeing that vise,never seen one that early . I've got one stamped July 3 1864. I guess it was dated just because it was made on first anniversary of Gettysburg .

Federico Mena Quintero
09-16-2013, 10:50 AM
What an interesting talk that must have been! George, do you know if anyone recorded video of it?

george wilson
09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Some member did,but I have no idea who he was. I don't mind people making videos or photographing my tools.

As to the vise,I need to take it to the Master Blacksmith. It looks a great deal like one the museum owns which is in the Geddy house.

george wilson
09-16-2013, 1:34 PM
After googling a paper by Peter Ross,former Master Blacksmith here,I can safely say that the vise has all the correct features to be an 18th. C. vise. I need to mount it,but I won't use it for heavy beating like post vises are made for. I have a perfectly good 19th. C. one I've had for over 30 years,and have never mounted. I don't have room for a stump to mount it on. I might mount it on a heavy bench if it is the right height to fit.