PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Lock

John Hollander
09-15-2013, 9:21 PM
I am working on plans to build a mirror with a hidden compartment behind it. I'm having trouble coming up with a hidden locking mechanize though. I was thinking some sort of magnetic lock would be cool. Does anybody have any experience with this? I found these:http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1611&site=ROCKLER and wondering if any body has used these "tot-loks". If so how strong are they? They are made out of plastic so I'm worried that they may break with a little bit of force applied to them. Anybody have any experience with this or suggestions?

John D Watson
09-16-2013, 9:20 AM
John,I installed one of these on my blade/ router bit cabinet about 8 years ago. It is robust enough to work in the shop environment. To date no one has been able to open it without the magnet. They are well built.
John D / Woodie

Joe Kieve
09-16-2013, 9:27 AM
I agree with John D in that they're pretty strong. However, IIRC, any magnet will open it.

Steve Baumgartner
09-16-2013, 8:19 PM
Both of my daughters have used those for child safety below kitchen sink, on medicine cabinets, etc. with no problems. They are reasonably strong. However, they require a bit of clearance so that the magnet can swing the latch open. That is, they won't hold your secret compartment tightly shut.