PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Micro Jig

Matt Meiser
09-15-2013, 7:05 PM
Saw this this weekend and decided it sounded like a good idea--smaller holes for smaller material like the 1/2" drawer boxes I like to build. Before I open the package (I could still return it to the store I bought it from) is it worth it?

Wade Lippman
09-15-2013, 7:19 PM
I bought it to use someplace where standard screws were too big. It did what it was supposed to, but I haven't had a need for it since.
So I guess I would encourage you to find a work around, as you probably won't be using it much. But if it is the best way, then I guess it is worth it.

allan kuntz
09-15-2013, 9:56 PM
I bought one because they made it. Have only used it a few times and it works as well a the full size

richard poitras
09-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Matt, if you have a Domino that could be used for the thin material? (1/2" drawer boxes) if not I think it would be handy.. For the drawer boxes.

Dan Rude
09-16-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't use it all the time, but like having the option. If you like pocket holes its worth having. The same could be said for the HD jig, which I have found all sorts of uses for. Dan

Rick Potter
09-16-2013, 3:08 AM
I just got one too. Haven't used it yet, but, as I understand it, you use the same diameter screws as the regular one, but it won't take the washer head style. I have thousands of those screws, bought real cheap when Home Base went out of business.

Rick Potter

richard poitras
09-16-2013, 6:32 AM
The same could be said for the HD jig, which I have found all sorts of uses for. Dan

Dan whats a HD jig?

Thanks Richard

John Nesmith
09-16-2013, 6:39 AM
The HD Jig (http://www.kregtool.com/Kreg-Jig-HD-Prodview.html) is for construction grade lumber. I.e., large (outdoor) projects.

Mort Stevens
09-17-2013, 2:24 AM
I bought one of these not fully realizing what exactly it did... I had thought it used an overall smaller size screw, but it doesn't it just makes a smaller hole and uses the same size screws (lengthwise), but with a smaller head. I like that idea, but realistically, the 19/64" hole it makes vs the 3/8" of the standard jig is only 5/64" of difference (about 3/32"). Maybe I'll run into that situation where only it will work, but I haven't so far. I think it would have been far more useful if they had designed it to use a smaller shank screw.

glenn bradley
09-17-2013, 8:46 AM
I have one specifically for quick-n-dirty pocket-holed drawer boxes of 1/2" BB ply. Not essential if the slightly proud screwheads from the standard screws are a non-issue in your build. There's always a work around for the occasional one off as well.

richard poitras
09-17-2013, 12:39 PM
The HD Jig (http://www.kregtool.com/Kreg-Jig-HD-Prodview.html) is for construction grade lumber. I.e., large (outdoor) projects.

Thanks John..for the info.

Rick Potter
09-17-2013, 5:41 PM
I got mine for 1/2" BB ply also. I use quite a bit of it.

Rick Potter