PDA

View Full Version : Cariente & Schoicl ?

Jim Matthews
09-15-2013, 6:45 PM
I'm putting together a starter set of saws for another Creeker, and came across a new (to me) maker.

Under a fine layer of rust appears;

CARIENTE & SCHOICL
No. 30
A.H. & I. Co.
Albany, N.Y.
Spring steel Warranted
Patent temp Paint Corp

The etch is of course obscure and my vision fading, but who were these people?

The steel seems solid enough, with a nice "ring" to it when the blade is flexed.

Any thoughts, or leads as to who Cariente & Schoicl were?

Don McConnell
09-15-2013, 7:56 PM
Jim et al,

Is there any chance that the etch reads: "CARPENTER'S CHOICE"?

In any event, I believe the A.H. & I. Co. refers to the Albany Hardware and Iron Co. which was incorporated in 1891. It was a hardware wholesaler and retailer which succeeded Maurice E. Viele, and continued, at least, into the 1920's. I haven't done the research to determine their tenure for sure. They may have manufactured some items, but it seems likely their saws were made by a saw making firm of the time.

Edit: A little more research has shown that the Albany Hardware and Iron Co. was in business until, at least, 1960.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Jim Matthews
09-16-2013, 7:13 AM
It was tantalizing to think there once was a tool making firm with Italian and Hungarian principals at the helm.
Your answer makes more sense. This saw looks and feels like a decent Atkins and should serve the intended user.

Thanks for taking time out of your shop to help me on this.
(My favorite part of The Creek is when you Top Guns drop by like this.)

Steve Voigt
09-16-2013, 9:37 AM
Jim et al,

Is there any chance that the etch reads: "CARPENTER'S CHOICE"?

That's some pretty cool detective work, Don.

Don McConnell
09-16-2013, 2:07 PM
Thanks Jim & Steve,

If I'd been a little smarter, I wouldn't have needed to figure the etch out for myself. Belatedly, this morning, I remembered to check Erv Schaffer's separate list of hardware dealers, which includes an entry for the Albany Hardware & Iron Co. Though it only indicates 1904 as a working date. In any event, that entry shows that one of the markings on the saws they marketed was, indeed, "CARPENTER'S CHOICE." It also indicates that the saws they sold were likely made by Disston.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Jim Matthews
09-16-2013, 2:34 PM
This feels like a handtool version of NPR's Will Shortz puzzle show.

I'm still kicking myself over this one.
(I mean, I held the magnifying glass and still couldn't read the obvious...)