PDA

View Full Version : Removing 30 year old polyurethane - suggestions?

Jim Mackell
09-15-2013, 4:32 PM
I need to remove some 30 to 40 year old poly from some windows. The frames are made of cherry and are in fairly decent shape. The poly has deteriorated to the point where some of it peels off like badly sunburned skin does! But naturally, there's a lot that is going to need to have help. In the past I've always just used a random orbit sander. Its been suggested to me that this is unnecessarily hard on the wood and that some chemical or other will magically make the poly come off. What has your experience been in dealing with old poly?

John TenEyck
09-15-2013, 7:15 PM
This stuff: http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=117 (newly renamed just Premium) will take it off in 15 minutes or less, probably less than 5 minutes if it's just poly. Follow the safety instructions because it's toxic and burns like hell on bare skin, but it works great w/o hurting the wood underneath. Be sure to neutralize it afterwards with their Afterwash, mineral spirits, Naptha, or water, prior to refinishing. There are other strippers with fewer H&S concerns. I use this one because it works better than anything else I've tried. Available at most BORG's.

John

Steve Schoene
09-15-2013, 7:23 PM
Chemical stripper is effective and leaves the surfaces better for refinishing. Methylene chloride strippers are most efficient but require the most attention to following the safety rules. Ventilation is important and also protection against getting the chemical on your skin (or eyes !).

allan kuntz
09-15-2013, 9:50 PM
Anything with methylene chloride in it will work but use with respect as it is a known carcinogenic. It used to be used in fast drying products such as deodorant and hairspray. I would use the gel product