PDA

View Full Version : Pepper mill boring bit

Greg Bender
09-15-2013, 11:41 AM
I recently ran across an ad for a specialty item for boring the first two steps of a pepper mill. It was pretty nice but I cannot seem to find it again.Does anybody know more about it or better still, own one and could tell me where I can find it? Really appreciate any info that I can get my hands on.
Thanx,Greg

Greg Bender
09-15-2013, 1:04 PM
Never mind, I found it. It is made by Woodcut Tools if anybody else was curious.
Greg

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/product.php?xSearch=&xProd=284&currency=4&jssCart=471c3dce276417493d9b732a454e3522

Dan Masshardt
09-15-2013, 1:42 PM
I'd be interested in a review if you choose to purchase it.

Michael Armstrong
09-15-2013, 1:59 PM
The cutter works really well. I have a friend who specializes in turning peppermills and I had a chance to use it. It certainly makes things much easier and takes less time.

Michael

Greg Bender
09-15-2013, 7:36 PM
Dan,
I will let you know cause I'm ordering one tomorrow.

Michael,
Does it have a 1 1/16" pilot and does your friend bore is 17/16" through hole with a forstner bit or with a twist drill. I cannot seem to get my hands on a "straight" drill extension. I was thinking about getting a 17/16" drill bit with a #2 Morse taper built in.
Greg

Michael Armstrong
09-15-2013, 8:03 PM
Greg:
If I remember correctly he drills a 1” through hole. He bought a special bit with an extension for that. That bit is special because of the design. It keeps cooler and stays sharp quite a bit longer. I'm having coffee with him on Tuesday so I'll get the details and post it then.
Michael

Harry Robinette
09-15-2013, 8:20 PM
You mite check-out the one Woodcraft sales been told their the best drill system for Pm. I believe this system has the extension with it and the bit's mount with just a 1/4 turn no set screw's.

Peter Fabricius
09-17-2013, 9:53 AM
Hi Greg,
I can understand that it is nice to have the exact sizes of drill bits for pepper mills! But, there are many different mills and the manufacturers like to use their proprietary drill sizes?...
Unless you are going into large numbers production, it really is quite easy to drill undersized holes with the bits you have and then enlarge the hole to the desired size. Remember the end holes are not deep and a 1/4" parting tool easily enlarges the holes.
Even the through hole can be drilled from both ends to meet in the middle with a regular 1" Forstner bit.
I have made an extension with a 3/8" hole in one end for the Forstner bits and 1/2" shank for the Jacobs chuck, it is made from 5/8" steel. It is about 8" long and is great for the Crush Grind 12" mills I have made.
Good luck with your mills.
hi Michael!!
Peter F.

Mike Goetzke
09-17-2013, 11:13 AM
I was curious - has anyone used spade bits for the through hole in mills? Tom Hintz gave a review on them and had good success ( http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/brapfeedrvu.html ). I have a couple of mills to make (my first) and don't want to invest in high quality Forstner bits of boring systems yet.

Mike

Rian de Bruyn
09-17-2013, 2:19 PM
www.peppermills.co.za (http://www.peppermill.co.za)
its call a milldrill

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-18-2013, 8:39 AM
Greg,
Good thread. I ordered one of these Milldrills. The concept makes great sense to me. It uses 1/4" high speed cutters. I use that type cutter in my hollowing tools. They are easy to sharpen and can be tweaked to make the exact size hole you need. Forstner bits make a great cut but are a pain to sharpen. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this unit works.
faust

Greg Bender
09-18-2013, 9:58 AM
Faust,
Where did you order it or did you go direct? I realized that ordering it on the Woodcut site was having to pay shipping from New Zealand.
Greg

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-18-2013, 5:07 PM
I ordered from Woodcut. I ordered the drill and another item and the shipping was about $18.00.
faust

Mike Golka
09-18-2013, 5:36 PM
Here is one I made

Greg Bender
09-21-2013, 8:44 PM
Mike,
I like it very much, looks stout. What brand of forstner bit is that .It looks longer than most.Could you PM me some specifications on OD, length of steps,etc etc. I tryed to drill a piece of ash this morning and the bit drifted off center even though I was spinning at 75 rpm. I think my old "foreign" drill chuck might be failing me, and possibly my drill extension.
Thanx,Greg

Mike Golka
09-22-2013, 8:30 AM
Greg I use a Maxicut bit from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=62137&cat=1,180,42240
Here is a drawing with the critical measurements I used 1/4" grub screws to lock things in place and 1/4" square HSS for the cutters.