PDA

View Full Version : Last step on a box - to wax with steel wool or not to wax the steel wool...

Alan Lightstone
09-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Just completed making my first box. Pre-cat Lacquer GLOSS finish. Just finished shooting it today, has to be given as a gift on Friday.

It has a couple of interior trays that slide. To reduce friction I wanted to wax the outside of the trays.

Should I apply the wax to the outside with 0000 steel wool? I'm concerned that this will dull down the finish, and I'm looking for gloss, and really don't want to deal with rubbing down these small trays.

And how long do I have to wait with the Pre-cat lacquer to additionally cure until I could use steel wool if that's the right approach?

Or should I just take a cloth and wax the exterior?

John TenEyck
09-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Alan,

If you want gloss, don't use steel wool or you'll get satin. I'd wait as long as possible, then gently rub the surfaces that you want to wax with a brown paper bag. That will round over any nibs and make it feel and slide more smoothly, without changing the sheen. If it works well on those interior parts you could do the same thing on the entire box to get rid of any nibs. Then wax the areas that slide and buff with a soft cloth.

John

glenn bradley
09-15-2013, 4:25 PM
Agree. Wax or not, steel wool will knock off your shine. If you want gloss, just wax with an applicator and buff with a cloth or pad.

Alan Lightstone
09-15-2013, 8:07 PM
Thanks, guys. will do.

Prashun Patel
09-15-2013, 8:48 PM
What am i missing here? If you want it gloss and dont want to deal with rubbing a lot, and you have sprayed your lacquer and it is smooth to the touch, then i dont think you have to do any rubbing. Skip the wax on everything but the undersides of the trays.

Alan Lightstone
09-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Not missing anything, Prashun, except it will have to be the sides and bottom of the trays.

Just over-thinking things, plus I don't use wax on furniture except sometimes the cast iron equipment.