PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the MLCS 3HP router?

Andrew Levine
09-15-2013, 10:22 AM
$200 seems like great price for a big table router - anyone used it? Is it comparable to the big PC?

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/u-turn-lift.html#router_motor_anchor

scott spencer
09-15-2013, 11:03 AM
I haven't tried it, but anytime something is new, my question is what advantage does it offer over similar more proven tool like the Hitachi M12V2 or others?

Richard Coers
09-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Not tried it, but I don't even like the PC. I can't imagine a cheaper knockoff version would be equal or better. The PC has outdated electronics and is really slow to respond to load. I had one with a big raised panel bit in it. When you started in end grain, you had to slow the feed to let the rpms come back up. Then you got out of the end grain, and the speed went above the set speed. It is big, and heavy duty, but there are lots better choices out there.

Andrew Levine
09-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Recommendations?

joseph f merz
09-15-2013, 1:05 PM
http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_M12V_3-14_Peak_HP_Router_Plunge_Electronic_Variable_Speed _(Reconditioned)___i308.aspx I have gotten some great deals from this place .To bad this one is out of stock . I do not have a big issue as previous poster with speeds .Just never occurred to me maybe .needs to have variable speed after that my needs are in the fense used in the set-up .

Wade Lippman
09-15-2013, 1:46 PM
Haven't tried this, but everything I have gotten from MLCS has been poor. I bought a spiral router bit for box joints, but couldn't get the joints to fit. Turns out the bit was undersized. MLCS told me is was in spec. So I would expect their router to be in spec also, even if it didn't turn on.

I went with a Milwaukee a few months ago.

Bill Geibe
09-16-2013, 1:05 AM
<<Recommendations?>>

I was looking around to replace the PC7518 under my table rather than add a lift. A lot of guys were liking the Triton TRA001. I bought one and am really pleased with it. It's designed primarily for under the table and has above table adjustment, above table bit change, automatic spindle lock and excellent dust collection. It's smooth and powerful, too.

Bill

Rick Potter
09-16-2013, 3:03 AM
I had a speed problem with my big PC in a router table. It is the 5 speed model. I took the switch apart, and it was full of sawdust. Since cleaning, it has been fine.

Rick Potter

Andrew Levine
09-16-2013, 7:39 AM
I already have a lift - so I don't need one with above-the-table adjustment.

How does the Hitachi M12V convert to under-table use? Does the motor separate from the plunge base?