PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on benchtop combo sander

Alan Diamond
09-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi All,
I have a small shop and woudl like to add a benchtop combo sander. I don't have floorspace for something on a stand, and I can go around 100lbs for the machine. I have looked at Grizzly, Jet, Rockwell, Powertec and Rikon. It looks like the RIKON 50-120 6-by-48-Inch Belt 10-Inch Disc Sander (http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-50-120--48-Inch-10-Inch-Sander/dp/B002FB74XS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1379253651&sr=8-8&keywords=combo+sander) is the closest to what I want. The issue is NONE of the combo sanders have many great reviews, just long lists of problems. I'm not shy about paying for a good tool, but who wants to sink money into something and finding out later it has to go to Craigslist...
Any ideas are appreciated.

Bill Huber
09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I had a Delta combo sander and sold it when I got the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander.

I have a small shop and this was just the ideal machine for me, have the belt and flat table for edge sanding and the spindle for curves and things like that.

I don't think there is a project that I have done that it doesn't get used and the other thing is, it is cheap $200.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Oscillating-Edge-Belt--Spindle-Sander/EN/index.htm

Alan Diamond
09-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Bill,
I was looking for a combo including a disk sander. I saw the Ridgid at HD, but thought the edge sander portion was too small.

Adam Diethrich
09-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I'll second Bill's choice on this one...

I don't have one yet myself, but I've had my eye on the Ridgid and it will be the benchtop sander I purchase.

A.W.D.

Rich Engelhardt
09-15-2013, 10:47 AM
+3 for the Ridgid.

I don't use it often - but - when I do it's a God-send.

HANK METZ
09-15-2013, 11:39 AM
An oscillating edge belt sander like the Rigid is a different machine than a 6 x 48 stationary belt. Mainly, the oscillation diminishes sanding marks almost to a non- existent trace, a feature the typical 6x lacks. Although it sports a 4 x 24 belt, simply flipping the work end for end and edge for edge accommodates most face sanding tasks you’d likely encounter. Belts are cheaper too, and the footprint is most agreeable with many shops. If you want to squeeze maximum tools in a minimum space, consider building yourself a flip table, effectively doubling the available area. I like a disk sander too, so mounting one opposite the belt can be an attractive combo. Lastly, disk and 6x 48 sanders go for cheap on Craigslist, that’d be my “A” list vendor first. Whatever you do get, also get a belt cleaning stick (http://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-belt-cleaner-30766.html), it really does double or triple belt life, I sanded over 300 shutter slats before I swapped the belt out, and it still had useful life left.

glenn bradley
09-15-2013, 4:36 PM
Hi Bill,
I was looking for a combo including a disk sander. I saw the Ridgid at HD, but thought the edge sander portion was too small.

I can understand the preference for a disc but, a 10" disc only has about 5" of safely usable sanding surface. If you try to sand something on the part of the disc that travels up and away from the table, and the sander has any power worth using, whatever you are sanding will become a helicopter. Just trying to make sure you are comparing apples to apples ;-)

I ran the Ridgid and it is an outstanding tools for the price/weight/versatility combination. The type of sander that gives you the best result will depend on what you are doing with it. An oscillating belt gives you a mostly scratch free surface right off the machine but isn't as good as bulk stock removal for rounding corners or applying bevels like a large disc. A disc sander leaves definite marks heading toward the reference surface but, you can minimize this with jigs and technique.

I started with the older heavy cast iron Craftsman 6" disc, 4x36" belt combo and the Ridgid. As a team they did a lot of work for me. I have since moved to larger machines but, if my shop shrunk and would not hold the larger machines, I would head back to the Ridgid without even shopping around. At 40lbs I used to lift it out onto the bench for use and then set it in a cupboard when not in use. There's not many machines you can do that with that are as versatile.

glenn bradley
09-15-2013, 4:37 PM
Although it sports a 4 x 36 belt,

The Ridgid uses a 4 x 24 inch belt ;).

HANK METZ
09-15-2013, 6:42 PM
The Ridgid uses a 4 x 24 inch belt ;).

Right you are Glenn; I've got 4x 36 on the brain 'cause I have one (unit) under the bench awaiting adaption to one of my DeWalt saws of old.
Makes the belts even cheaper still then. :)

Sam Puhalovich
09-16-2013, 7:55 AM
+5 on the Rigid. I've had mine for about 8 years. The only 'problem' that I've had with it ... is that ... I seldom change from belt-to-drum, and consequently extracting from the drive spindle can be difficult. I recently bought a Delta 6x42 w/ 9" disk. It has a flat 'pad' material that the belt rubs against to minimize heat and wear on the belt. Depending on your technique: this belt will easily take a 'belly-set', and without you realizing it you'll be sanding 'bulges' into the work-piece. So. if your determined to get one ... get a old cast iron one like Glen used.

Julian Tracy
09-16-2013, 8:11 AM
I had the Ridgid sander and it is good for the versatility it offers. I found the belt portion to be a bit underpowered depending on what you were trying to accomplish.

Though now I have a floor standing stationary large Jet combo unit, I've also had in the past the Hitachi benchtop combo 4" belt/ 8" disc sander and had nothing but good things to say about it.

Belt portion was super powerful for a unit that small - much better than the Ridgid (though not oss), and it was one of the few benchtop units that had a real cast iron table, though you had to move it back and forth between each sander.

I left the table on the disc portion as the belt portion had a bit of a ledge that allowed for working on it in a rough shaping manner.

Dust collection was most excellant as that edge had integral dust holes in it. The entire unit had a fan blower of some sort inside of it that directed most of the dust into an included collection bag. Even without a vac or dust collector just using the bag captured a good amount of the dust.

They sold new for about $140 and they should able to found used for $50-80 used.

Great little sander.

JT

Jim Tabor
09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I've had a Grizzly G1183 Combo sander for about a year, 6X48 belt and 12" disk, 3450RPM. No issues, seems to do what you would expect from a $650 sanded. My only complaint was the difficulty in finding the correct fittings to hook-up the dust collection. On a second trip to the Springfield Grizzly store a very helpful salesman put together a set of fittings that worked. I was going there to purchase a table saw, so it wasn't like I had to make an extra trip.

Keith Hankins
09-16-2013, 1:14 PM
I've got one of those and I agree. I use that sucker all the time. With all the spindle tubes sizes, and its stores easily fantastic tool. Dust management is great (I use my festool vac). I had my doubts before I got it, but saw so many good reviews, gave it a try. Not sorry at all. I only wish they had higher grits available.

Bernie May
09-16-2013, 7:07 PM
I have and love the Ridgid as well.

Bernie Kopfer
09-17-2013, 8:11 AM
I had the Ridgid Sander and at the same time the unit now sold by Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-3-HP-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G0538. The Ridgid was a POC in comparison but a bit more versatile. I also have the Jet combo unit and it is my go to machine for touch up sanding to full bore wood reduction. The Rikon unit you are looking at is very equivalent and you will probably not regret getting quality and power in the long run.

Rich Enders
09-19-2013, 1:23 PM
+7 on the Ridgid. And the lifetime parts warranty.

Pete Janke
09-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Another Ridgid vote.271282

Jim Becker
09-22-2013, 8:16 PM
When I wanted one of these, I actually opted for a Grizzly 6"x48" + 12" sander. I felt the extra weight would be beneficial and since the sizes are "standards", it's easy to find abrasives for. I don't use it very often, but it's come in handy a number of times. The only downside with these things is that dust collection is a bear, especially for the disk since there is a "very non standard" connection required.