PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for finishing a gaff

Kyle Stiefel
05-30-2005, 7:04 PM
Hello to all,

I am in the process of thinking out a gaff I am going to turn for my neighbor who takes me out fishing quite a bit. I was pondering what type of finish would be optimal to sustain some of the abuse in a salt water environment?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Todd Burch
05-31-2005, 8:51 PM
I'd use marine spar varnish.

Frank Hagan
06-01-2005, 1:40 AM
Yep, something like McCloskey's Spar Varnish is the thing. The only problem you have is that spar vanishes never feel "cured" to me ... they are always a little soft. They have a high oil content.

There are some very expensive marine varnishes ... my favorite is Epifanes ... that cure to a harder shell type of finish. If you have a West Marine or Boat US near you, and want to spend $22 on a small can of Epifanes, you can't go wrong. Easy to brush on, and it looks great with 4 or 5 coats.

Jim Becker
06-01-2005, 9:00 AM
The only problem you have is that spar vanishes never feel "cured" to me ... they are always a little soft. They have a high oil content.

More importantly, spar varnishes are long oil varnishes which are designed to be highly flexible...appropriate for "spars" that need to bend in the wind. A harder finish would crack and allow for quick deterioration. These products really were designed for a specific purpose! Of course, "modern marketing" gets in the way these days and there are a lot of products with that name that may or may not be true to the task. And since UV kills urethanes, any "spar varnish" that containes them is suspect in my mind, even with UV inhibitors.

Frank Hagan
06-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I have seen some "water based" and "poly" spar varnishes, and I've wondered about those ... not sure how you get those attributes and remain a spar varnish.

When I first read the topic, I was thinking "gaff" as in spar, not "gaff" as in "stick the pointy end in the fish so I can get it aboard!" For a gaff spar, spar varnish absolutely. For a gaff for the fish, the softer feel of the spar varnish might tend to feel "gummy" in the hand. (Although I suspect most people won't notice it, especially when they are focused on that monster at the end of the line).

Kyle Stiefel
06-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I was tracking along those lines as well.