PDA

View Full Version : high tech meets personal tech

Howard Rosenberg
09-14-2013, 9:17 PM
you might find this interesting

http://www.techhive.com/article/2047898/facebook-tells-employees-build-something-with-a-table-saw.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

Keith Outten
09-15-2013, 8:56 AM
Someone high up on the food chain at Facebook has obviously learned what everyone here already knows.....that woodworking can be a serious means of stress relief.

Sitting in a cubicle all day long banging on a keyboard would drive me crazy, to drink or hopefully to a creative hobby. I noticed the reader comment about the danger of table saws, it made me think about learning wood shop safety in the seventh grade. The concept of shop safety got more air time than any other topic so students were pretty safe working in the shops. In all the years I took wood shop, metal shop and masonry classes in both junior high and high school the only person who ever had an accident was our woodworking shop teacher.

I wonder if the more we learn the more dangerous we become in the shop. Maybe we just get so accustomed to being around powerful machines and using advanced techniques that we forget about basic shop safety. In any event I applaud Facebook for their efforts promoting a tangible hobby for people who work in an intangible world :)

Pat Barry
09-15-2013, 9:12 AM
Suddenly, my whole image of facebook has Maybe they can pass this forward to the typical users..