PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Recommendations...

Corey Hallagan
05-30-2005, 6:51 PM
About 6 months ago I bought a used Delta scroll saw, it was a 16 inch model that is no longer made. Today I sat down to really use it and found out that the darn thing has a crack in the upper parralel arm. The only thing that I can think of is that it had been dropped onto the concrete or something to crack the cast iron. It was undetectable previously, I broke a blade while cutting and the force of the break must of made the difference and it will not tension properly or anything now. I paid on the stand $50.00 for it so I am not to wigged out about it but need some recs for a new one.

I like to scroll saw in the winter mostly, it is somehting I can put a jacket on and go out into the shop if it is above freezing and comfortably do. I don't want a Hawk or an Excaliber or other super expensive saws. I am looking for something in the 200-300 range. I ahve looked at the Delta SS 350 and the Dremel 18 Scroll Saw Station, any other recommendations? The Delta P20 and The Dewalt are out of my price range.

Thanks,
Corey

Todd Davidson
05-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Corey~

The December 2003 issue of Workbench reviewed scroll saws (Craftsman 21610, Delta SS350, Dremel 1680, Ryobi SC164VS, & Wilton 99166). They gave the Craftsman the highest marks for top mounted controls, left & right tilting table w/ dial setting, and ability to take both plain and pin end blades. Kim and I have the Craftsman, although Kim uses it the most we're both pleased with it. Dewalt has come out with a scroll saw that is supposed to superior to mid-priced models, but I have no experience with it. Given the price you can get the Craftsman for with C'man Club and coupons you might want to give it a look.

In peace, Todd

Jim Becker
05-30-2005, 10:23 PM
It's too bad the Dewalt is steep for you as it's almost always the "recommendation leader" in various forums, outside of the high-end units. Perhaps you can find a refurb from HFT or another source at an approachable cost. If I were ever to buy a scroll saw, it's the one that would be at the top of my short list.

Corey Hallagan
05-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Todd, hey thanks for the info, I guess I wouldn't of included Craftsman in the running but it looks like they have 2 saws worth checking out. The 21620 would be at the top of my budget at 300.00
Question, how does the 21610 do on 3/4 pine and oak, that is what i would be primarily cutting. Do you cut those materials much on your saw. Also, what kind of blade change mechanism does it use and how easy is it to change blades on this saw? The website doesn't give much information on it. Thanks again for your response.

Corey

Corey Hallagan
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks Jim, the Dewalt 788 ( I think ) and the Delta P-20 are no doubt the best saws out there without going to the 700-1000 saws. They are both on my "wish list" I just might have to stretch my budget to the $400.00 range if I can't find anything in 150-300. range that I like.

I have a fair amount of experience with Delta scroll saws. My original scroll saw was identical to the "broken" one I have now. I sold it as I just wasn't using it much for a period and then I got the bug to do more scrolling. This one I even recommended to the person who I bought it from about 8 years ago, since then she died and the family asked me if I wanted to buy it for $50.00 I can only think that the only way to crack the cast iron was that it was dropped on concrete or something from a truck in her last move.
Thanks,
Corey

Randy Meijer
05-31-2005, 1:40 AM
Corey:

Cast iron can be repaired. It is not easy and requires a skilled welder to perform the repair. It's been a long time since I took my welding course at the local community college so I don't remember the details.......you don't just arc weld it.....there is a special process that must be followed. Ask around.....you might be able to get that puppy working for a lot less that the price of a new one!!!

Jack Wood
05-31-2005, 7:39 AM
What you need to do is to assess what level of scrolling you want to do. If you only scroll simple patterns or only use it occasionally then one of the cheaper models might do for you. But if you really want to start doing more intricate cuts and want easy blade changing and smooth running then the DeWalt 788 is a great saw. I started out with a Lowend Delta and soon ran over it's ability to do what I wanted it to. After reading a lot of opinions on scroll saw boards I went ahead and bought the DeWalt. Toolking usually has a great price on them and they didn't charge shipping when I ordered mine. Since I have started woodworking as a hobby I have learned that it is better to buy more machine than you need than to buy a compromise and regret it later. I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw when I first started and now wish I had gone ahead a gotten an 18" with greater cut height, the Delta 12" isn't capable of adding a riser kit so now I'm stuck with a saw that while it does a fair job I wish I had thought it out before I leaped:( If you want I can PM you with some scroll saw boards so you can read about the various saws out there:)

Kevin Herber
05-31-2005, 8:03 AM
Good Morning Corey - I had the same saw a few years ago. I sold it in a garage sale and now have the Dewalt 788. It definitely was worth the extra bucks. If you do much scrolling at all you will be glad you stretched if you can.

Regarding the older Delta, give Delta a call. I bet they still have parts for that saw. I had to replace some of the rubber pads and a new switch. They sent all of it free. Try giving them a call...

If you remove the black plastic cover on the side of the rear verticle support that the parallel arms come out of, you will see that the parallel arms are easily removable. Replacing one will not be difficult at all, provided you can get one.

As a last resort, check HD and Lowes. I've seen that model saw for sale at less than $100 fairly often but I don't know if thay still carry it. You could end up with a new saw plus your old one for parts.

Good luck -- If there is any way you can get your hands on a DW788 I highly recommend it.

-- Kevin

markgoodall
05-31-2005, 8:18 AM
Arms are aluminum, I believe

Corey Hallagan
05-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys. I was really happy with my original Delta 2 speed. It was verylow vibration and I thought the original quickset blade change was fairly easy myself. Since this has cracked I am just going to get a new saw instead of trying to repair this one. I would like to upgrade a bit but don't know that I need the Dewalt. It definitely isn't for production work of anykind. I would like to get a little more intricate, try some Intarsia scrolling etc. Maybe I just need to start saving now for the Dewalt.
Still would like to hear from you Todd on the workings of the craftsman and from anyone who has experience with the 20 inch Craftsman professional SS.

Thanks,
Corey

Jim Dannels
05-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Here is a link to a site, this guy reviews many saws.
Teaches classes at the Woodsmith Store, is right here in Iowa and will talk to you by phone if you wish.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Paul Canaris
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
I cracked two tool rest supports on my wood lathe. I used ordinary epoxy to glue them. The repair has held for 10 years of occasional usage. Surprised me.

Harry Goodwin
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Corey+ I have a cheaper varispeed Delta and a Dewalt I bought on sale. I enjoy the Delta with a little question over the blade holder. The Dewalt is just a league above the Delta. I will admit I could care less about it lifting up for blade change. Jersey Mike has great reasonable blades. Harry

Steve Stube
05-31-2005, 11:25 AM
I like the old iron. I think I was probably 6 or 7 when dad allowed me to use the scroll saw (one like that in the photo). I've had more than a hundred different scroll saws since (one of my hobbies is rebuilding old tools) mostly Craftsman but a few others too. I have 3 of the Delta 24" machines that have been part of my shop tools for more than 20 years. One is dedicated to metal cutting only. I have a dozen like the photo - PM me if old iron appeals to you.

Corey Hallagan
05-31-2005, 7:33 PM
Well, I kind of weighed things out, I really liked my first Delta 16 inch saw I had. It was identical to the used one I have, however the stand that I bought the used on is a really nice stand, the same one the P-20 comes on and is a terrific stand. My old Delta was a great machine, I really liked it as it was very smooth with little vibration and the used saw vibrated even less ( before the breakage occured ) on that stand. I have decided to stick with a Delta and opted for the SS350 model. I just can see spending the extra dollars for the Dewalt for the part time use I give it.
This is actually an upgrade from what I had so I am hoping it will fill the bill. I ordred it tonight from Amazon as my wife has gifted it to me for a Birthday/Fathersday present. I will post pics etc. when it arrives and give a rundown on how it performs compared to my prior saw.
Thanks for all the responses.
Corey

Norman Gallaher
06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Corey

How is that SS350 doing? I just ordered one myself.

Corey Hallagan
06-16-2005, 12:45 AM
It is an awesome saw for the money. Can't be beat for 199. and with a stand. I used my old stand which is alot heavier but it is very low vibration, very quiet throught the speed range. I think you will like it. I have had 2 other delta 16' scroll saws that were both the 2 speed model. I had the first one for about 12 years and I sold it as I wasn't doing much work on it. I liked it alot. I bought the same saw used but it was a lemon with a crack in the cast iron so I bought the new Delta. The older delta I had was also very low vibration but the new variable speed feature is much more useable than the 2 speed. It has the new generation of quickset blade chucks on both the upper and lower chucks. They are easy to use and adjust and the blade tension is improved as well over previous models. The only down side is that Delta put this neat little saw dust cup that also has an opening for dc hook up but the cup has to be removed to get at the bottom blade chuck. Removes easily but just not as fast as previously.
I saw the Craftsman 149.00 scroll saw in person and checked it out at the store, that is a nice saw for the money but for the extra money, the Delta has much more weight at 60lbs with the entire base and table being made of cast iron. This lends itself to the non vibration in the saw.
Congrats on the new saw, let me know how you like it. I haven't made any projects yet but have sat several different times and cut different materials with different blades getting used to the saw. It cuts straight, plenty of room to make nice quick turns and you can dial in the perfect speed for the type of wood and thickness.
Corey