PDA

View Full Version : woodworking/carpentry reference books

Brian Holcombe
09-14-2013, 3:51 PM
I'm searching for woodworking and carpentry books to add to my library, preferably bound in leather. So far I have not found much. Any insight would be appreciated.

William Adams
09-14-2013, 4:01 PM
Well, if you find a nice book, you can always have it re-bound...

Dave Cav
09-15-2013, 12:26 AM
It's out of print and a lot of the used copies have library bindings, but Cabinetmaking and Millwork (http://www.amazon.com/Cabinetmaking-Millwork-John-L-Feirer/dp/068413277X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379218999&sr=1-1&keywords=cabinetmaking+and+millwork+feirer+1970) by John L Feirer seems to be one of the most popular reference books out there. I have two or three copies, and considering you can get a used copy on Amazon for a penny plus shipping, it's quite a deal. It's a little dated in some respects, but still a valuable resource. EVERY other shop teacher I know has at least one copy.

Bill ThompsonNM
09-15-2013, 7:15 AM
It's out of print and a lot of the used copies have library bindings, but Cabinetmaking and Millwork (http://www.amazon.com/Cabinetmaking-Millwork-John-L-Feirer/dp/068413277X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379218999&sr=1-1&keywords=cabinetmaking+and+millwork+feirer+1970) by John L Feirer seems to be one of the most popular reference books out there. I have two or three copies, and considering you can get a used copy on Amazon for a penny plus shipping, it's quite a deal. It's a little dated in some respects, but still a valuable resource. EVERY other shop teacher I know has at least one copy.

+1 to this book. Hard to find any books bound in leather, old or new. For woodworking without machinery I would look at some of the books resurrected by Christopher Schwartz. If you then want them leather bound, a google search will locate either bookbinding supplies to do your own or places to send them to be bound. It appears you should expect to pay about $150 for that service.

Rob Feldner
09-15-2013, 8:49 AM
Not leather bound, but there are a lot of great books here:

http://www.lostartpress.com/books_s/12.htm

Shawn Pixley
09-15-2013, 11:23 AM
The leather binding is the requirement that will cause you the most problem. As others said, find the books and have the rebound if you want.

Brian Holcombe
09-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks gents! I appreciate the insight. I've found some interesting architecture books which fit my requirements but woodworking seems to be a bit more difficult. Of course the content of the books outweighs the binding in any case, but I think it would be interesting to find both.

Kevin Jenness
09-21-2013, 11:08 PM
These are some books I have turned to repeatedly through the years;

R. Bruce Hoadley, "Understanding Wood"
Ernest Joyce, Encyclopedia of Furnituremaking"
Tage Frid,"Joinery", "Shaping, Veneering and Finishing" and"Furnituremaking"
George Ellis, "Modern Practical Joinery"
W&A Mowat, "A Treatise on Stairbuilding and Handrailing"
Ken Austin, "Contract Joinery"
George Collins, "Circular Work in Carpentry and Joinery"
Eric Stephenson, "Shaper Handbook"
Alan Peters, "Cabinetmaking: The Professional Approach"
Edward S. Morse, "Japanese Homes and Their Surroundings"
David Pye, "The Nature of Design" and "The Nature and Art of Workmanship"
R .A. Lincoln, "The Complete Manual of Wood Veneering"
Scott Grove,"Advanced Veneering"
Larry Robinson, "The Art of Inlay"
Stevens and Turner, "Wood Bending Handbook"
George Nakashima,"The Soul of a Tree"
anything by Charles H. Hayward

I doubt you would find any leatherbound, but perhaps an early edition of Ellis, Mowat, Collins or Morse might show up.

Brian Holcombe
11-17-2013, 2:32 PM

Lathe Work and wood turning. Picked this one up, still working on finding more.

It's leather bound, published in London in 1901.

Frank Drew
11-17-2013, 3:14 PM
Excellent list, Kevin. I have, or have read, most of those.

Bill Whig
11-17-2013, 6:42 PM
Excellent list, Kevin. I have, or have read, most of those.

I printed the list. Thank you.

Bill Whig