PDA

View Full Version : To saw file holder or not

Judson Green
09-13-2013, 6:26 PM
Like many of you I’m putting together my order at LV to take advantage of the free shipping event. And also like many of you I have a budget, cuz like I kinda need to buy groceries and other boring stuff. So to maximize my bang for the buck I was hoping you fellow saw filers could offer your opinion on the “saw file holder”.

First a little background. The last nine months or so I’ve acquired maybe 6-8 saws, mostly cross cut, and have had for some time, a backsaw. I’ve managed to sharpen these using a few three-square files that I had and bought one at the Borg and to my eyes (I’ve been a long time woodworker but new to the ways of the Neanderthal) the saws cut fine. I have no clue what angle the fleam or rake are at. Recently I mustered up the courage to re-tooth a 22” ship pattern D-8 (changed from ~ 8 ppi to 11 ppi) and it cuts fine. I’m sure its not as good as it could but the saw goes where I guide it. Now I’m not saying I’m the saw whisper or anything in fact it maybe just the opposite, ignorance is blissful. If anything I feel that I’m too conservative with tooth setting.

So I was planning on ordering the roll of saw files. I’m not displeased with the one I got for the Borg but I’m only offered two sizes/types of three-square there. And have heard good things here about this LV offering. Okay enough background.

Should I buy the saw file holder with the roll?

Am I missing something by not using this guide? Or not using any guide? Is this comparable to freehand sharping? I years ago bought one of those honing jigs, only used it a few times and now its in a drawer somewhere. And this isn’t a jig either, only offers an easer point of reference, right?

I know this isn’t a lot of money but I absolutely hate spending money on something that gonna sit in a drawer and get forgetting about. On the other hand I’ve spent more and gotten less. And if this is the cats’ pajamas well then I better get one.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thank
Judson

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-13-2013, 6:44 PM
I've got the saw file holder - I like it a lot, but it's not necessary. I like a visual jig like this for smaller saws, or when I'm changing the angles of a saw (large or small). On something like my 7pt saws, particularly the rip saws, I can just sort of follow the old filing by eye and by feel if I'm just touching up the edges.

I used the standard blocks of wood jammed on the end of the file in the past. Where this excels is having one tool rather than however many blocks of wood I used to have kicking around, and unlike the blocks, it's useable again and again - the blocks would invariably wallow out on me. The other thing is that I find it a much more comfortable handle on the other end of the file than either the blocks, or just jamming a cork or something on the end of the file.

It's not really like a honing jig - it's visual indicator more than anything else. I particularly like having that visual indicator for some saws - I can usually keep a decent eye on fleam, and rake isn't too hard for my rip saws (I tend to do 0 rake on my rip saws) but the indicator is nice for a shallow rake, particularly if you're doing something like relaxing the rake on a saw you find too aggressive right now.

I like it, I'm glad I have it, but it's not necessary, I guess. I like *something* a lot of the time, but it doesn't have to be this. I end up using it most of the time on anything that's not my large rip saws, so I guess I've gotten my moneys worth out of it.

lowell holmes
09-13-2013, 8:11 PM
I agree with Joshua. I always use mine when sharpening, along with magnifying hood.

Chris Griggs
09-13-2013, 8:14 PM
Not much to really add here just reiterate, whats already been said.

That saw file holder is at the top of my wish list BUT...you do not need it so if the budget is an issue I would say skip for now. Wooden guide blocks will do the same thing...that saw file holder falls into the category of things that would be really nice to have but not a requirement for admission.

On the other hand, I DEFINITELY think its something that you'll get a lot of use of if you file your own saws. If I had one I'm sure I'd use it instead of my wooden guides, but if there are things that are more pressing get them and use guide blocks in the meantime and save the file guide for the next event. If you have budgeted for it, than I'd say by all means get it. I have now doubt it will be of use. I certainly don't think it will go unused. You're going to want ot use some visual guide no matter what so if the budget is not an issue might as well get something that is more convenient than guides.

Stanley Covington
09-13-2013, 8:32 PM
I don't understand the question. Perjury is a big deal, but do you want to file Eric Holder or saw him? :D

Tony Wilkins
09-13-2013, 8:47 PM
I think it may be a moot point. I checked yesterday and it was backordered till November.

Steve Voigt
09-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Am I missing something by not using this guide? Or not using any guide?

I do think you're missing something by not using a guide, but I agree with everyone above that it doesn't have to be the LV guide. I use the homemade wooden guides. They're free, and once you've made a couple, they take just a few minutes to make.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-13-2013, 11:41 PM
If money is an issue, I'd honestly look at cutting back on saw files over the guide. As Chris says, the guide isn't required, wooden blocks work fine.

I jumped on the saw files when LV first started carrying them (and got the intro price) and like having all those sizes. But for the saws I use regularly in my work, I think I could get by with three files regularly. Check the TPI of what you're using, and have a look see at what sizes you actually need.

I don't have a lot of saws that I regularly use, and it seems like every panel or hand saw I pick up used is in the 7 point range (and has just enough of a bend to it I wonder if I can get away with blaming the saw, although I haven't actually had any problems) I also probably use files not perfectly sized for the saws I'm sharpening all the time, sometimes going maybe a bit too small.

If you're using a saw in every tooth count (or even just have a saw in every tooth count and like having those options around) then this math might work out different for you. But it's where I'd go. I like having all those files around, but if I was buying now, I'd have saved the money and just gotten the sizes of files I've been using regularly.

Jim Matthews
09-14-2013, 7:43 AM
I just wrap the tip end with masking tape, and jam the pointy end into a dowel or wine bottle cork.

If you need a visual guide, mark the relevant angle directly on your saw vise.
Precise alignment is more important with really small saws.

Those, I don't sharpen so often.

My suggestion would be to spend this money on better spot lighting, with magnification.

Hilton Ralphs
09-14-2013, 8:00 AM
I think it may be a moot point. I checked yesterday and it was backordered till November.

Not moot at all. Lee Valley will still ship for free if you've ordered within that wallet emptying window of opportunity.

OP, if you're new to saw sharpening and are bit apprehensive, then get the saw file holder as it will enable you to get with it. Over time, once the memory muscle is all pumped up and you don't feel you need it anymore, sell the bugger.

You can't lose.

Derek Cohen
09-14-2013, 8:22 AM
Hi Judson

The LV saw file guide is very useful, but if you are conserving finances, then it is not essential. You can make your own version (a visual aid) to go on with until later. I do think that it is worth getting at some stage as it helps you set up filing quickly and reliably.

Keeping in mind that the file holder is $42 and that a role of files is $52, I ask myself, and you, why you want to get all the files and not just the ones you need. Surely you will not require more than 3 files (which is 4 less than you planned and a saving of about $25, almost the cost of the file holder!). I generally just buy the file sizes I plan to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

lowell holmes
09-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I do as Derek does, but I find that the file roll is a handy place to keep the files I use. They are always where they should be when I need one.

I think a pocket in the file roll for a file handle would be a nice addition. I use one of the pockets for that, but a larger pocket would be nice.

Tony Wilkins
09-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Not moot at all. Lee Valley will still ship for free if you've ordered within that wallet emptying window of opportunity.

OP, if you're new to saw sharpening and are bit apprehensive, then get the saw file holder as it will enable you to get with it. Over time, once the memory muscle is all pumped up and you don't feel you need it anymore, sell the bugger.

You can't lose.

Thanks Hilton, good to know.

Jim Koepke
09-14-2013, 12:33 PM
It tempts me, but as useful as it seems, blocks of wood and self made guides keep me from needing one.

jtk

Judson Green
09-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone