PDA

View Full Version : Anyone currently serving in the Military?

Bob Weisner
05-30-2005, 4:13 PM
Hi.

Is there anyone on this forum that is currently serving in the Military? There was a story that was run on our local news that said that there was no deferments if a draft was to be restarted. Is this true? What about the people that are not front line material,?; for example: say someone has bad hips, would they still have to go, or woud they be put in some sort of desk job?

Thanks,

Cecil Arnold
05-30-2005, 4:31 PM
While not currently in the military (1959-62) I think you can be assured that your government does not want to go to the expense of training someone with a medical condition. The current kinds of conflicts--the no front war, means that the cooks and bakers, quartermaster, etc. could easily be drawn into combat and therefore need to be in at least some modicum of physical condition in ordder to face those conditions. If you recall Jessica Lynch along with a number of casulties with her was in the QMC. There will always be a classification of 4-F.

Don Abele
05-30-2005, 5:44 PM
Bob, I am currently on active duty in the Navy (18 years) and in the medical field. I can tell you that there is no way that someone with a medical condition like bad hips could be found fit for deployment. We screen every single person prior to (and afterwards as well), and anyone not meeting the standards for Full Duty does not go.

As for the draft, even with low recruitment levels in all services I just don't see our government trying to reinstate it. The American public is too much against it and our current total force manning is above where it needs to be. The Navy is drawing down personnel over the next year or so...SO...if we are "kicking" people out, then how could they justify reinstating the draft? I do know that current Army and Marine Corps manning is below, that's why other services have created programs for those getting "kicked" out of the Navy and Air Force to cross over the "ground" forces. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Be well,

Doc