PDA

View Full Version : TECO FM50... it's kinda big and... more help needed

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, I got the VFD yesterday. I was surprised by two things. First, I was not really prepared for how big the thing is. For some reason, I was expecting a smaller box. Also, I did not realize that the enclosure has no provision for "housed" connections. The terminals are all right on the front of the unit so the idea of running flexible conduit into the unit is going to need a rethink. It's odd because I've been looking at the illustrations in the manual and they are completely different from what I actually have as are the connection layouts.

The thing is, none of the diagrams I have relate to the actual connections on this thing. I get it that the "L" terminals are for the 220v input and the "T" terminals are to connect the 3ph motor. But the upper row where the remote controls are supposed to get connected are not clear to me. I would like to connect a speed control "pot" and a three position switch that would do the forward/off/reverse function. These terminals have markings that do not match anything I have. I really don;t want to screw this up!

Josh Bowman
09-13-2013, 4:33 PM
David,
Then do one step at a time. Just wire the 220 volt up and the motor. Then You can use the boxes control panel to play with the speed and make some tweaks. After that look at your manual (I'd down load a copy or print it off of the included CD). There are sections that will handle the forward reverse switch then the pot. But again just do one at a time. That terminal strip is low voltage, so no need to worry about getting zapped. You'll love have smooth the lathe will run. Looking forward to your first piece off of it.
Watch this You Tube video. It will get the thing hooked up and show how to do the forward and reverse switch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBxqwU48JOI

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2013, 5:42 PM
Yep. That's just where I went. I'm working on getting the thing put together and running and after that I'll mess with the remote functions. Rough figuring out a way to cleanly install this unit as it does not have a fully enclosed housing. But I'll get it wired up and then figure out how to make it look decent later...

Josh Bowman
09-13-2013, 5:59 PM
David,
Google around, I found some neat looking enclosures while looking for the wiring. Looks like most get a big box and put the VFD in it and the controls on the door. Some even had a digital read out, which is possible.....but I don't really see the expense.

Dick Strauss
09-13-2013, 5:59 PM
David,
See my email for the details...

Mike Cruz
09-13-2013, 8:37 PM
David, I've mounted all my VFDs to the wall...up kinda high at about 6 feet. Well, except for the one on my current lathe. I put that one on the end of the lathe on the tailstock end. For the most part, it is out of the way. I need to build a top shield/cover for it so chips aren't right on top of the unit.

Bill Wyko
09-14-2013, 1:47 AM
I admire your determination my friend, wish I could be more help. If it were 12 volt DC I'd have the answers for you.