PDA

View Full Version : Water Slide Decals

Peter Meacham
09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I am looking for a Water Slide Decal source that does not have a high min quantity requirement. Can anyone recommend a source pls.

Dan Hintz
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
A Google search for "water slide decal paper" turns up a ton of them... first link alone has packs for around $20.

Mike Null
09-13-2013, 10:55 AM
You can buy them from MagicTouch. http://www.themagictouchusa.com/

Martin Boekers
09-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Magic Touch is good and Papillo has all sorts of neat stuff! The newer versions are nicer as the printed to a very thin mylar, the older versions were printed to a sheet with a dextrose coating and you needed to spray a fixative to hold the ink or toner together . I love waterslide, just curious, if you don't mind saying, what do you plan on using it for?

Dee Gallo
09-13-2013, 3:07 PM
I use Lazertran.com because they are the old fashioned decal material and I wanted something vintage-y that could wear off with time. They come in small 10 sheet packs.

Dennis Watson
09-13-2013, 3:54 PM
I used the Papillio paper for R/C model airplanes. Works great.

http://rzrmods.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=21&g2_serialNumber=1

Peter Meacham
09-13-2013, 6:21 PM
Martin, et al

Thanks for the replies. My barber has a motorcycle with a windshield and he wants to put his shop logo on the windshield (Windscreen for our British friends). So, I thought a waterslide decal might work.

Any other suggestion for this application?

Pete

Martin Boekers
09-13-2013, 7:30 PM
Martin, et al

Thanks for the replies. My barber has a motorcycle with a windshield and he wants to put his shop logo on the windshield (Windscreen for our British friends). So, I thought a waterslide decal might work.

Any other suggestion for this application?

Pete Water slide won't hold up for this, if you sublimate Rowmark Mates would work, you have a Roland cutter , I have a GX 24 that I use for decal and T Shirts. If you have a pigment printer (like and Epson with Dura Brite inks) you can print/cut with registration marks if your cutter has an optical reader for a die cut. Pigment inks will hold up with less fading, you might consider static cling too, not permanent but hold pretty good. There are lots of vinyls out there to print on, remember inks are transparent so you will have to print on a white.

Dennis Watson
09-13-2013, 8:15 PM
Yea, water slide is to delicate for that. If I could see his logo I can print it on vinyl.

Peter Meacham
09-13-2013, 8:57 PM
Dennis

Here is the logo

Pete270869

Frank barry
09-14-2013, 4:59 AM
Good morning all
I have looked at water slide as a means to put pictures onhouse signs that would be outside I plan on putting a few coats of varnish overthem to protect them am I on the right track ?
My reason for this was from what I have read it’s an easyoption and gives a very high quality picture and should be cost effective asyou don’t need much equipment
Am I on the right track?
Frank

Mike Lysov
09-14-2013, 5:42 AM
there is a lot of guys on ebay who will print your logo on vinyl and cut it out for you. If it's small it won't cost too much. These things are used for cars stickers and even wraps so it will last for a very long time.

I have had a roland printer/cutter. It could print with solvent ink and them cut out any contour around it. It is not so complicated to use and it should not been expensive to do just one small job.

Dennis Watson
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Dennis

Here is the logo

Pete

How long does he need it?

Chuck Stone
09-14-2013, 4:23 PM
This seems simple enough to do without a vinyl cutter. The lines aren't that complex
and I don't see any really tight spaces to worry about. I'd cut it with an exacto.
You might be able to get a vinyl sticker material on 8.5 x 11 sheets from an office supply
store. You can put it through your own printer and spray a UV coating on it to help
protect it. I got a 100 pack of vinyl for around $30, but I also got polyester from Papilio
and I think 10 sheets was around $8 or so (it's been awhile)

Peter Meacham
09-14-2013, 7:50 PM
How long does he need it?

Until he sells the motorcycle - just kidding.

Dennis, thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to try to print it myself given the advice above regarding the different papers available to make decals, stickers, etc. I think I have all the equipment needed.

Thanks to all for your inputs.

Mike Lysov
09-15-2013, 2:41 AM
As far as I know you cannot print directly on polyester as it only accepts inks when it is hot. That's why it is used for sublimation printing only.

Chuck Stone
09-15-2013, 1:39 PM
As far as I know you cannot print directly on polyester as it only accepts inks when it is hot. That's why it is used for sublimation printing only.

Hi Mike ..
there are polyester materials out there meant for inkjet printers. They likely have some sort of
coating on them to accept the inks, but I have some .. they work .. so I know they're out there!
http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20photo%20high%20glossy%20film%20media.html