PDA

View Full Version : Used Grizzly G1033 vs Dewalt 735X

bruce Humphrey
09-13-2013, 8:02 AM
Hello everyone, I would appreciate input on a planer. As discussed in previous post, I am a new woodworker setting up a new shop. I am lucky enough to have access to lots of rough timber, so a planer will be important and heavily used. I am pretty impressed with reviews on the dewalt 735. Seldom is there a consensus like that on a tool. I can get one in my area for $550 plus tax but with the extension and extra blades. I have been scouring CL also and the best deal there seems to be a 2001 G1033 for $750. It seems to have been not used a whole lot and is in good condition. What would your preferences be?
Thanks for the responses!
B

Jim Finn
09-13-2013, 9:01 AM
I have the DeWalt planer and like it. It produces a LOT of chips so a collection system is advised. I now have mine hooked up to a dust collection system but before that, I ran the 4" discharge hose into a trash can using a cloth top made for this saw and it works well also. The blades will dull rather quickly even when cutting soft woods. They are easy to change though.

Cary Falk
09-13-2013, 9:44 AM
A G1033 20" cast iron planer with induction motor vs a 12" Dewalt screamer. I would take the Grizzly any day of the week and twice on Sunday. You are asking about 2 different classes of machines. The Grizzly will be quieter and out last the Dewalt not to mention the added capavity.

bruce Humphrey
09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
A G1033 20" cast iron planer with induction motor vs a 12" Dewalt screamer. I would take the Grizzly any day of the week and twice on Sunday. You are asking about 2 different classes of machines. The Grizzly will be quieter and out last the Dewalt not to mention the added capavity.

I understand that are different types but there is some security in having a new machine that can be returned if it evens blinks wrong at you. Also the idea of adjusting blades is a little scary. On the other hand space isn't a huge issue and I like the idea of having a full size machine always setup.

Wade Lippman
09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
You're kidding, right?
I had the Dewalt and for light use is it a great machine.
I would not want to put lots of rough lumber through it. That is what real planers are made for.
If the seller can demonstrate it working properly, the Grizzly is a no-brainer.

Allen Grenz
09-13-2013, 12:33 PM
I have the Dewalt 735 and have put around 2000lf throught it with no problems, it gives a great cut with sharp blades... but the blades suck.... Its loud as chit too... A new Shelix head fixed that and the decibel level is livable now, also the cut is even better with the new head... I recently got a Jet 16" and now use it now for most all my fresh rough sawn lumber, much more powerful and built for the task of running all day long.. I did keep the Dewalt though for my figured wood and other critical pieces.. The 735 is definetly respectable for what it is. It will keep up with most anything you throw at it but its still a lunchbox planer.. Probably the best in its class I will admit.. I don't have any experience with Grizzly planers but most people are happy with them and it would for sure be the more serious machine.. Why is the guy selling it though? Seems to me that a 20" planer is a good stopping point for most folks.. I'd ask that question... :)

Rick Potter
09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Like Wade,
I think the key here is your ample supply of rough wood, and the fact that you state you will use it a lot. I was in the opposite situation a while ago, and I replaced my 15" Jet with a 735 because I hardly used it, and the 735 fits my needs for occasional resizing of project pieces.

The big one will fit your needs best.

Rick Potter

bruce Humphrey
09-13-2013, 7:54 PM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/tls/4062926623.html

here is the link to the grizzly. any thoughts or concerns?

thanks
b

Allen Grenz
09-13-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd jump on that, looks good and in the way if you know what I mean... If you can take a look inside and then run a couple boards through it.. That'll tell you if the gearbox is working and a hint on everything else, most of that machine you can fix yourself... Knives for it are cheap at Grizzly @ $80 a set...

Cary Falk
09-13-2013, 11:35 PM
The 3hp motor caught my attention. I think the new ones come with a 5hp motor. I would still jump on it.

scott spencer
09-14-2013, 6:56 AM
This is sort of a dump truck vs pickup truck scenario as far as construction and duty ratings go. Which one best suits your needs is really up to you.

Curt Harms
09-14-2013, 9:42 AM
How about your power? I presume you have 240 volts/at least 20 amps available? Setting knives is not all that big a deal if you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude and patience. Of course there's always a Shellix head (which would probably cost more than the planer). But yeah, if you have the means to move this critter - shipping weight is 776 lbs. - the room and the power I doubt you'd ever need to upgrade.

bruce Humphrey
09-14-2013, 11:58 AM
How about your power? I presume you have 240 volts/at least 20 amps available? Setting knives is not all that big a deal if you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude and patience. Of course there's always a Shellix head (which would probably cost more than the planer). But yeah, if you have the means to move this critter - shipping weight is 776 lbs. - the room and the power I doubt you'd ever need to upgrade.
I think I am good with power. I just did the electrical for the newish garage. 220v 20A and 110 20A every 8 feet with a 50amp at each end of the garage. Mech apptitude = A, Patience = C-

I think I can move it. I have been successful in the past with a pretty big engine hoist.

Thanks for all of the input. I Will go look at it next week.