PDA

View Full Version : Ahhrrrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Bob Smalser
05-30-2005, 3:51 PM
My varnish!

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7372002/98601036.jpg

Never used poly foam before for flotation. Sure hope waxing first works as I intended.

Jack Wood
05-30-2005, 4:07 PM
It is amazing how big such a little bit of something can get! I've heard about people who have used the big bottles to insulate the interior walls in an existing house and then had the sheetrock pop off!:eek: good luck with the clean up!

Byron Trantham
05-30-2005, 4:36 PM
Not cool, not cool at all. I feel the aggravation from here! Squeeze out aside, the project really looks nice.

Chuck Kiser
05-30-2005, 5:38 PM
Sorry to see that Bob, but I'm sure you can fix it up "good as new". I can state with some certainty that expandable foam WILL pop a tire right off its rim.

DAMHIKT:(

Alan Tolchinsky
05-30-2005, 7:57 PM
Sorry Bob, what a pain in the you know where. I've had that stuff do the same thing to me and I feel your pain. After you scrape most of it off isn't there some kind of solvent that removes the remainder? Good luck.

Bob Smalser
05-30-2005, 8:25 PM
That wuz 20 minutes after screwing down the seat. 4 hours later and there's a tad more squeezout, so to speak. No damage, tho....a was afraid it would blow out the thin bulkhead I installed to make the storage compartment.

Looks like it will pull off without the need for anything but spotpainting the enamel in places. I'll know tomorrow.

Not 2-part or the 70-dollar Fisheries Supply kit....just two cans of Home Depot's bulder's foam. I had left a tad of air space in the deep part of the pour to allow for expansion.

I though about running a couple perforated tubes thru it along side the stem for ventilation, but decided against it, as the outdoor plumbing installations I've done with it have been totally impervious to water and have held up well. I'll caulk up the seat seams to make a watertight compartment.

The main reason I waxed the whole shebang was because somebody some day will have to dig that stuff out of there....and it's every bit as adhesive as poly glue.

mike malone
05-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi bob
there are 2 types of foam:
high expansion and lo expansion
i guess you used the first
i had a plumber friend who used the first type under a tub enclosure and it actually raised the unit.
The boat looks like a great piece of work!!! I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up.
regards
mike

scott spencer
05-31-2005, 7:47 AM
Wish I could say that was worse than any "miscalculations" I've made ;). That should cut right out without too much trouble. The boat looks great!

Jim Becker
05-31-2005, 9:24 AM
Bob, there is a solvent for the foam, but I'm not sure if it will affect your finish, too. When I was in the insulation contracting business with my former FIL, nobody used the foam without having a can of the solvent available, especially those folks who refused to wear gloves!