PDA

View Full Version : Identify block plane

Brian Hendricks
09-12-2013, 9:31 PM
I'm hoping one of the experts here can help me, I recovered an old block plane in poor shape that was likely my grandfather's. I've searched the length and breadth of the interwebs and can't pinpoint what type/model this is.

It's a 7-1/4" x 2" block plane with a lever depth adjustment, the numbers "306" and "307" on the underside of the cap, and "Fulton Warranted" stamped on the iron. So from the cap I thought it may be a Sargent 206, 207, 306, or 307, but the Fulton iron leads me towards Fulton planes. Though I haven't found many details on the Fultons and if any of them had the lever adjuster. Fulton would make most sense as I'm in upstate NY and that may have been a model Sears carried (and made by Sargent).

Along with finding out what it is, I'd like an opinion on if it's worthwhile to clean/recondition it for use?

The cap is broken so in order to get it functional that would have to be replaced, and it was in worse shape before I started cleaning it up (decent rust build-up). If it's a low-medium quality plane I'm wondering if it's even worth fixing it even though I don't own any other planes yet.

Thanks for any input!
-Brian

Dave Parkis
09-12-2013, 10:23 PM
I can't help id it, but I have a couple just like it. Depending on where you are in upstate NY, you can stop by and grab one. Otherwise (IMHO), it probably isn't worth much effort other than the sentimental value.

don wilwol
09-13-2013, 11:42 AM
My guess would be a Fulton branded Sargent 207. It would be a decent user once all together. I wouldn't spend a lot, but just keep looking until you find the parts you need come along.