PDA

View Full Version : Another Influx of PMV11

Chris Griggs
09-12-2013, 3:56 PM
So I was just looking around the LV site trying to resit free shipping and noticed that there seems to be a new influx of PMV11. It looks like they have it for almost all the planes now...all the shoulder planes, apron plane, even the side rabbet plane. The only things that it doesn't seem to be available on are some of the more specialized special purpose tools like the detail rabbets and the router plane.

Anway, I think this must have been added like really really recently, because I swear the last time I looked at the shoulder planes and the apron it wasn't available.

There's an LN event near me next month and I was planning on picking up a bronze 102 there. The 102 would have added some nice diversity to my shelf full of black and bubinga but the PMV11 and free shipping for the apron might sway back toward the LV apron. Darn you Rob!

Really I should not buy anything. I need to get a handle on this LV/LN/Ebay web browsing. Its certainly not helping me save up for a bandsaw!

Hilton Ralphs
09-12-2013, 4:45 PM
Me thinks they'll be dropping the A2 option altogether.

Of course, I had just placed a $315 order a mere couple of hours before they announced the free shipping.........

Chris Griggs
09-12-2013, 4:48 PM
Me thinks they'll be dropping the A2 option altogether.

Of course, I had just placed a $315 order a mere couple of hours before they announced the free shipping.........

I wonder. Then again there might be enough people who like A2 that its worth keeping around...don't wanna lose an existing market.

$315 huh? What did you get? (I notice that that is the same price as the shooting plane with a PMV11 blade)

Tony Shea
09-12-2013, 4:52 PM
I know that the PMV11 is very tempting but I have to say that I think you should stick with your original plan. Don't let Rob mess with your head. Not that I don't think you should buy LV but I own the LN 102 block plane (in bronze) and it is hands down the most used plane I own. I also own LN's 60 1/2 block plane and still will pick up the 102 nine times out of ten. I've actually delegated my 60 1/2 for high angle localized smoothing chores. I honed a 45* micro bevel on the 60 1/2 as well as an ever so slight camber. But the 102 is used for everything. There is not an edge that goes untouched by this plane, it's just so darn comfortable. And the A2 blade is perfectly fine, I'd really have to hit some serious tropical hardwoods for me to ever feel like I wished the blade was PMV11.

But I hear you on Rob and his constant innovations and free shipping. He certainly knows how to help himself to my wallet. Luckily LN isn't coming out with new tools every week. My next project would be a tool box that I could store all my tools in as well as a place to sleep. My new shop would be the great outdoors.

Hilton Ralphs
09-12-2013, 4:55 PM
$315 huh? What did you get? (I notice that that is the same price as the shooting plane with a PMV11 blade)
I shot myself in the foot by not waiting. The thing is last Friday night I was about pull the trigger but then decided to wait until I woke up on Saturday morning to finalise the order. Sure as nuts, I discover no stock until the 5th November. Major bummer.

After sulking for a few days and with the impending cut-off date for the special price, I hit the go button.

Oh well.

Chris Griggs
09-12-2013, 5:11 PM
Tony, I've been thinking that if I get and apron I will do the same thing with my LABP...hone it at a standard angle and use it for finer trimming and smoothing.

As far as the LN vs LV apron sized planes are concerned...well, I've gone back and forth for years about getting one over the other so (or getting one at all, they always get bumped down the list for something else) so choosing the PMV11 is not really a big 180 for me...more of a thing to sway me back in the other direction.

I may very well still go with the LN bronze for 1 reason. It is the one plane where the bronze has significant appeal to me, and that because its a plane that my sweaty, greasy, dirty hands will be all over and the kind of tool that will likely be left out on the bench a lot and that I'll forget to wipe down. So in this case the lack of rust-ability (new word) make the bronze a particularly worthwhile and utilitarian feature to me.

Anyway, I've tried the 102. Liked it an awful lot. I'm sure I'd like the apron too and really at the end of the day it doesn't matter which I get (no idea why
I've gone back and forth about it so much)

I really wasn't going to get either at this exact moment, but the combination of the sale and the PMV11 for it made me consider a sooner than planned purchase.

At the end of the day I guess I don't really care which I end up with all that much, but I'll probably will just wait until after the next LN show. Since I have the chance might as well mess with the LN one a bit again before making my decision.

I am psyched to see it on the shoulder planes too, that's a place where the advantages of PMV11 are more pertinent anyway. And i agree, there is certainly nothing the least bit inadequate about A2 or 01...they still work as well as they always did, but i do like the PMV11 an awful lot.

john davey
09-13-2013, 7:46 AM
It seems that not all of the planes are offered with the pmv11 though. Some just offer it as an option. The side rabbit for example only has the blade as an option and not part of the plane purchase. I might just be reading it wrong though. The apron plan does offer the new blade with the plane.

Jim Koepke
09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
It seems that not all of the planes are offered with the pmv11 though. Some just offer it as an option. The side rabbit for example only has the blade as an option and not part of the plane purchase. I might just be reading it wrong though. The apron plan does offer the new blade with the plane.

I wonder if this might be due to any particular plane being in stock and packaged before the PM V11 blades were made for it. Maybe once all the old stock is sold and new planes are made they will be available new with PM V11 blades.

jtk

Brian Loran
09-13-2013, 3:44 PM
My memory may be rusty but I think you always get a box with the plane in it and another box with the blade... So old stock should not be an issue?

Chris Griggs
09-13-2013, 3:49 PM
My memory may be rusty but I think you always get a box with the plane in it and another box with the blade... So old stock should not be an issue?

That's what I was thinking too. It seems like they throw the blades in once the order is placed. I'm thinking its just more of an issue of availability of stock..they are dependent on one supplier for PMV11. May just be a web updating thing too.

Tony Wilkins
09-13-2013, 8:39 PM
I know my medium shoulder and bench planes came with the blades separate. I'm thinking my small plough and moving fillister came with them in the plane. However, my brain is gone so take that with a pillar of salt.

Ron Kellison
09-13-2013, 11:04 PM
"I may very well still go with the LN bronze for 1 reason. It is the one plane where the bronze has significant appeal to me, and that because its a plane that my sweaty, greasy, dirty hands will be all over and the kind of tool that will likely be left out on the bench a lot and that I'll forget to wipe down. So in this case the lack of rust-ability (new word) make the bronze a particularly worthwhile and utilitarian feature to me."

I use my LV apron plane (A2) a lot. It is the one plane that's always close at hand when I turning perfectly good boards into sawdust and shavings. When I feel the need to put something bronze in my hand I pull this out of it's little box.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41182,56084&p=32684

However, I always wipe it down and rub it with a polishing cloth before I put it away. It's a special little plane and I want to do everything I can to preserve it's value.

Ron