PDA

View Full Version : Type 4 Pre-Lateral, No. 3 Value?

Andy Williams
09-12-2013, 1:50 PM

Does anyone know a rough value for this plane? I don't think they are too common.

Jim Koepke
09-22-2013, 1:13 PM
Andy,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location. Location and method of selling, if that is your intent, will have some effect on the value.

I do not think the moderators like value questions in the forums.

Your best bet for finding what the valuation of an item might be is to search completed listings on ebay.

The #3 is not a common size and usually garners a premium above a #4. Yours looks to have a replacement blade which lowers the collector value. If the chip breaker doesn't have the original patent date or the smooth sided screw, the collector value is further diminished.

As to the user value, my type 4 #6 gets almost as much use as my type 9 #6. The type 4 is set up for light smoothing cuts and the type 9 has a Hock iron and is set up to take a "remove saw marks" cut.

Setting the lateral adjustment on this will be easy work for a small hammer. Most folks like a small brass headed hammer. At the time I didn't know any better so my plane hammer is made out of wood.

It is about 7" from top to bottom. Made from one of my early chisel handles that broke and a piece of scrap that appears to be lignum vitae.

jtk