PDA

View Full Version : Turning pendants with the Joyner Jig - small issue

Dave Kartzman
09-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Good morning....

I had posted a thread a few weeks ago about problems I was having with my pendants 'sliding' around when turning off-axis. I sincerely appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. After playing around with the double sided tape and the carpet tape, I finally figured out that the glue on the double sided cloth tape had gotten old and lost much of its tack. I called Ruth Niles and asked her what kind of tape she used and she told me that she got it at Home depot and that it was clear. I went over and found it as a 3M clear double sided tape. I took it home and tried it, and it worked beautifully, even when I sped up the lathe speed doing some off-axis embellishments. There was a decided different in the tack between the 3m tape and the cloth tape i got at one of the Woodworking stores. So I guess there is a shelf life to the cloth tape (it was 1 1/2 years ago when I bought it).

Now that I got past this issue, I ran into another, albeit very small issue. The 3m tape is so tacky that it is very difficult to move the pendant around once it is touching the waste block. When I turn the back side and round out the pendant blank, it's not an issue, but when I reverse it to shape and embellish the front, it is a real bear to get it centered and back into place so that the pendant sits completely centered. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to keep the pendant centered once you turn one side and start to finish the other?

I hope this is making sense. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Dave

Dan Masshardt
09-12-2013, 5:08 PM
I just use a faceplate for my pendants, but...

I drill a small hole through the pendant then peel it off, flip it over, put it on the drill bit, slide the tail stock with the pendant on the bit to the tape and restick. Works well enough for me.