PDA

View Full Version : Identify a Craftman plane

Joe Tilson
09-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I found a #5 Craftsman plane (14"x2 1/2") with only the craftsman logo on the lever cap. On the blade is made in USA and the letters BL. BL is also stamped on the right cheek down close to the sole. I cannot find anything about this plane on any of the sites, I know of. Please do not ask for pics, I do not have the knowledge of how to do this and am not computer savvy. It also has made in USA behind the knob, and the #8 in the center of the bottom of the frog, which is Sargent in style It is corrugated on the sole. Thanks for any help, Joe (my nickname)

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Howdy Joe (Glenn),

Not sure if I have ever said welcome to the Creek, but if I did you get it twice.

My suggestion is if you go by Joe, change your profile. Most likely some folks will forget and some won't and then confusion comes along. I know confusion better and better all the time.

As to the answer to your question, you may have answered it your self, the frog being Sargent style. Though on many of their less expensive planes Stanley did use a lateral adjuster similar to Sargent's.

What matters more than the maker is how it performs. I have seen Craftsman planes doing fine work.

The BL may be an owners stamp.

jtk

Joe Tilson
09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Jim, Thanks but the BL is on the blade and is the same as the made in USA. That's what is throwing me off. I will learn how to get pics on the blog. I'm just waiting for my eight years old grand daughter to come by and show me. Boy do I feel ignorant???

steven c newman
09-12-2013, 12:46 PM
The "BL" is for" Budget Line" I think. You can find the same BL or even a BB on some of the Craftsman planes. If Millers Falls made it, they would stamp the number on the left side of th base, like "4D BB" was a Dunlap version.

There should be a "Model Number" stamped on the iron, as well. Something like: 130.xxxxxx? Should be between the Craftsman logo and the BL stamp. Sargent also made a Fulton brand plane for Sears.

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
You can find the same BL or even a BB on some of the Craftsman planes.

I learn something new just about everyday.

jtk

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Glenn,

Here is a post that might help you to post photos:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

When replying to another post the 270779 needs to be double clicked to get the paperclip icon.

Otherwise select the Go Advanced button 270780 at the bottom of the composing window to be able to post images.

Hope this helps.

jtk

Judson Green
09-12-2013, 1:30 PM
I too was wondering what the numbers "5C BB" meant. I figured the "5C" part was for #5 corrugated but what's the "BB# for? Thanks. And here's a few photos just cause.

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 1:38 PM
Judson, can't say what the "BB" means. I can tell from you photos that the lateral lever tip looks like a Millers Falls product. Can not really tell what kind of ring is around the knob, it looks like it is also Millers Falls. Millers Falls had a gentle slope. Stanley sometimes had a bead around the knob base and sometimes it was flat. Sargent's bead was a touch different than Stanley's.

jtk

Joe Tilson
09-12-2013, 1:48 PM
We do learn a lot from this blog. Thanks Steven, I found on another site it probably is a fifty's era. Dunlap & Fulton also used the BL on their product as well. Thanks Gentlemen, I really appreciate the info!