PDA

View Full Version : Another use for a hand crank grinder

Edward Mitton
09-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I love hand crank grinders. Currently I own two, one of which belonged to my grandfather. My primary grinder was picked up at a yard sale for $5 and after some refurb is now my go-to grinder for plane and chisel blade beveling. My other HCG is in the process of being turned into a bench mounted disc sander. OK, I know that sandpaper goes against all things Neanderthal, but I make a lot of toy projects with lots of small parts, that I don't want to spend huge amounts of time on finish smoothing the edges with files.

Just for the record, these parts are all 'Galootly' hand cut with a coping saw and fret table, then finished sized with rasps and files.

The part I anticipate most is being able to perform controlled low-speed disc sanding without dealing with clouds of dust and screeching motors.

Basically, the sanding attachment is nothing more than a hardwood disc drilled to fit the grinder shaft, then fitted with a disc of fine sandpaper. I'm thinking about gluing on a bit of velcro and using the pre-made sanding 5" disks made for random orbit power sanders.

A small hardwood horizontal table, and the system will be good to go. I'll have pix when all is finished.

Judson Green
09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Saw your post in the other tread and was hoping you'd post something more about your HCGers. Thanks. Do these things really work that well? I have a hard time walking and chewing gum, do you think even I could master the use of a HCG?

Again thanks

Hilton Ralphs
09-12-2013, 11:19 AM
OK, I know that sandpaper goes against all things Neanderthal

Not sure why not as sandpaper is not exactly a modern device. It was with us waaaaaaay before hand planes and drawbore pins.

Adam Cruea
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Not sure why not as sandpaper is not exactly a modern device. It was with us waaaaaaay before hand planes and drawbore pins.

I gotta agree. Sometimes it's the best tool for the job (which is not flattening, but more smoothing).

Last I checked, you don't knock down finish nibs with a file, scraper, or plane. ;)

Chris Griggs
09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I don't mind sandpaper at all. I sand a lot of stuff with 220. Honestly, unless one is just leaving the wood raw or just putting on wax, I think the differences between a planed surface and a sanded surface largely disappear once any type of film finish is added. I really really like finishing right on a planed surface, and prefer not to sand, but do sand plenty of stuff just at 220. I hate and almost never go below 220, but a light finish sanding I just sort of think of as insurance after planing even if its not needed, just in case there is some uneveness in the wood surface that I don't notice.

I also finish with shellac a lot and that always gets wet-sanded at 400-600 grit.

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
A hand cranked sander, now that is a great idea.

Sandpaper is as neander as scary sharp and that is neander enough for me.

jtk

Edward Mitton
09-12-2013, 1:18 PM
I think I have been drawn to these grinders because they are not only functional, but they look cool! Never do I have anyone visit my shop that isn't totally intrigued by this odd little mechanical device attached to my bench. Invariably, they can't resist giving it a few spins.

Here is a good link to some info about what to look for when buying a hand crank grinder...
http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/buying-hand-cranked-grinders/

The one I am using had to be dis-assembled and thoroughly cleaned/lubricated, but I have it to the point where I can turn the handle at a fast speed, let go, and the crank turns on its own for about 5 more revolutions before coming to a stop. The only other issue with these things is that the wheel arbor is typically 1/4" or 3/8" diameter, so in order to fit a new wheel, you need to come up with some creative bushing arrangements.

As for use, there is a learning curve with keeping the blade in position with one hand while turning the crank with the other, but like anything else, it becomes easier with practice. Also a good tool rest is essential. You can either buy an after market or build your own.

I actually saw another adaptation of a hand crank grinder that was published long ago in an issue of the UK's "Woodworker" magazine. The diagram showed where someone had attached a 4-1/2" circular saw blade to the arbor, built a small table, and turned it into a miniature hand-cranked table saw!

When you really think on it, what you essentially have is a hand operated version of an electric motor that can be adapted to any tool that requires a spinning arbor. Mini-lathe? Spindle sander? Hmmmm..I now have visions of a whole collection of miniature hand crank bench tools....

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 1:25 PM
Never do I have anyone visit my shop that isn't totally intrigued by this odd little mechanical device attached to my bench. Invariably, they can't resist giving it a few spins.

Hmmmm..I now have visions of a whole collection of miniature hand crank bench tools....

All you would really need then is a steady supply of young apprentices to do the spinning. Kids love to make things go round and round.

george wilson
09-12-2013, 1:36 PM
Your hand cranked sander will get bogged down immediately. Use a motor driven sanding disc. Also,I would not try to use FINE sand paper on a disc sander. You will get nowhere. I also would NOT use velcro!!! It will make a "soft" surface which your parts will sink into,producing rounded off corners or convex surfaces. Use at least 80 grit paper.

Trying to sand wood is going to require more power than grinding a chisel.

A disc sander is a valuable thing to have. If you can't stand "screeching motors"(I haven't noticed motor screeching),get hold of a slow motor,like 1725 RPM. Do not use a 3450 RPM motor. It will burn your wood and WILL make a big fuss. High sanding speeds are for METAL. If you REALLY want a slow disc,get a gear motor and make a real slow rotating disc. But,not TOO slow!! You do want to get the job done.

Judson Green
09-12-2013, 1:45 PM
I think I have been drawn to these grinders because they are not only functional, but they look cool! Never do I have anyone visit my shop that isn't totally intrigued by this odd little mechanical device attached to my bench. Invariably, they can't resist giving it a few spins.

Here is a good link to some info about what to look for when buying a hand crank grinder...
http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/buying-hand-cranked-grinders/

The one I am using had to be dis-assembled and thoroughly cleaned/lubricated, but I have it to the point where I can turn the handle at a fast speed, let go, and the crank turns on its own for about 5 more revolutions before coming to a stop. The only other issue with these things is that the wheel arbor is typically 1/4" or 3/8" diameter, so in order to fit a new wheel, you need to come up with some creative bushing arrangements.

As for use, there is a learning curve with keeping the blade in position with one hand while turning the crank with the other, but like anything else, it becomes easier with practice. Also a good tool rest is essential. You can either buy an after market or build your own.

I actually saw another adaptation of a hand crank grinder that was published long ago in an issue of the UK's "Woodworker" magazine. The diagram showed where someone had attached a 4-1/2" circular saw blade to the arbor, built a small table, and turned it into a miniature hand-cranked table saw!

When you really think on it, what you essentially have is a hand operated version of an electric motor that can be adapted to any tool that requires a spinning arbor. Mini-lathe? Spindle sander? Hmmmm..I now have visions of a whole collection of miniature hand crank bench tools....

A hand cranked table saw? Whaaaat? I think I'd need a 3rd hand.
I saw a treadal lathe where on one side was mounted I think two grinding wheels. Thought that would be the bees knees if I ever made a treadal lathe.

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 1:46 PM
Your hand cranked sander will get bogged down immediately. Use a motor driven sanding disc.

George, of course you are right, but sometimes the learning and fun is in finding these things our through our own trials and failures.

Who knows, maybe it won't cut it with wood but it could make a way to sand a little metal.

jtk

Jim Koepke
09-12-2013, 1:47 PM
There is an episode of The Woodwrights Shop with a treadle powered table saw.

jtk

Edward Mitton
09-12-2013, 1:50 PM
Good points, all. I shall retire to the la-bora-tory and conduct some 'speriments.
Thanks!

I do own a small bench belt/disc sander that I had been using, but like most of my other power tool,s when I opted to go Neander, it has been relegated to a position in the lesser used region of my shop. Actually, the only power tools that are still actively use, though less frequently, are a band saw, drill press, lathe, and scroll saw. And my wife is the primary user of the latter two.

Edward Mitton
09-12-2013, 2:01 PM
Yet another strange, but cool tool adaptation I ran across recently was the proposed use of an eggbeater breast drill mounted and adapted into a small lathe. Now, that's one that I think would require 3 hands or a child apprentice to operate.

Judson Green
09-12-2013, 2:03 PM
Sure that I could see but on the rare occasion I use my table saw its always with both hands.

george wilson
09-12-2013, 4:41 PM
Believe me, Jim,I have had plenty of the "fun" off trials and tribulations of things that didn't work out. I had no one to teach me most of the sort of things I was interested in. I spent a whole school shop year making a mess instead of a guitar. I'd much rather have had a few words from someone experienced on just how to bend the sides.

Chris Griggs
09-12-2013, 5:34 PM
Believe me, Jim,I have had plenty of the "fun" off trials and tribulations of things that didn't work out.

I don't believe you. I've seen your work and it leads me to believe you mastered making tools and instruments while still in the womb :)

Jim Ritter
09-12-2013, 6:49 PM
Google "hand powered disc sander" then click on images. There are lots of examples both home made and commercial. It might help you out.
Jim

John Powers
09-12-2013, 8:58 PM
I keep quiet when I don't know but I have a hand crank grinder. it's right up there with the Fenwick fiberglass flyrod in the basement ceiling, the Stanley brace and the frame saw in the garage ceiling. they've had their day to me. But, to each his own I say. if anybody near Woodbury NJ needs the grinder it's yours for what I paid.