PDA

View Full Version : A story to share- kinda long

Dave Tinley
05-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I noticed an ad on another WW board for woodworking machinery for sale. Since at the time I was looking for a planer I contacted the poster to see if it was available. I was told it was, along with a lot of other tools. It seems that her husband was a woodworker and he had passed away, the equipment he had was her inheritance. I also asked if she had any hardwood for sale and she said yes, there was a bunch of mesquite, one of my favorites.
I made arrangements to make the trip to south Texas this past Saturday and hopefully score some wood and tools.
A friend of the family met me at the house, because MaryAnn had moved to Houston after her husbands’ death. Now I have been to other woodworker’s shops and been to other shops to buy tools and such, but this was a different experience.
Entering his shop, which was an add on to the house, I found it almost totally intact, as if he could be coming in to work on a project at any time.
His shop was relatively small and given all the tools he had it was kind of cramped. I was told by the friend that he had built two rocking chairs and then discovered turning on the lathe and that, became his habit of choice. The machinery showed very little wear, in fact there was a disc sander that appeared to have never been used.
Although a couple of the big tools had been sold and removed, like the bandsaw and lathe, everything was still pretty much in its place. There was one wall that had woodworking books and magazines, and another wall had shelves with rocking chair templates, some glues and various cans of stain and finishes. Pipe clamps were stacked in the corner and his lumber was stored along another wall.His scraps of paper were lying in various spots where he had made his notes. And there was some lumber laying on a bench with layout marks on them.
. I spent a large amount of time noticing all the small things in his shop, you know, all those things we seem to accumulate with the hopes that one day they will fill a need in a project we are working on, or a tip we got so we went out on bought this item to build a jig and have not gotten around to building. I was noticing these things, not so much to see if there was anything to buy, as more for the learning of what and how this man worked.
Now I am not saying that this was spooky because of the man being deceased but it was as if I was observing a craftsman’s domain

I would like to say that I felt this awe inspiring feeling, or wish I could say that I had felt touched by his ghost, but in truth and in reality it was a sense of camaraderie with a twinge of sadness. Here was a man that chose the same hobby as I, we use similar techniques to create objects out of wood, and we shared a kinship of learning.
I felt the twinge of sadness because the knowledge that this man now possessed was not available to us anymore.
There have been a lot of threads on why we do woodworking, and to many people it is for different reasons, but for me it is the learning. Learning new techniques, learning how to correct the stupid mistakes made, learning new types of finishing, but most of all, its so that I can learn enough that I can share and pass along what I have learned on to others.

I am happy to say that I end this story, not with a gloat of the wood that I got, but with having learned something new by visiting another woodworkers shop.

Thank you for letting me share this story with you.
Dave

Richard Wolf
05-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Nice story. You are right about not leaving a wealth of knowledge that we all assemlate in our lifetime. It is sad that left behind is our creations, and our tools, but the essence of our workshop, our knowledge and love for wood, is gone with us.

Richard

Frank Pellow
05-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Dave, thanks for sharing this experience and your feelings about it with us.

Dan Forman
05-30-2005, 1:13 PM
Very poignant, thanks for sharing.

Dan

lou sansone
05-30-2005, 1:50 PM
that is a great story

the startling fact is that anyone of us might not be here tomorrow! The world would continue to chug along, but there would be this "hole" where we once were.

lou

Byron Trantham
05-30-2005, 2:14 PM
Nice story, thanks.

Jay Knoll
05-30-2005, 3:39 PM
Dave

Not only did you capture a great moment and remind us of why we do woodworking, but also why we visit this forum. Thanks for taking the time to write this post. I am certain his widow would like to read what you've written if you can find a way to get it to her.

It is interesting that you posted this on Memorial Day! Let's all take a moment to reflect on those that have given something back to the country and to us in our daily lives

Jay

Corey Hallagan
05-30-2005, 3:45 PM
Dave, thanks for posting. I got kind of a feeling while reading it like I was standing next to you taking it all in. Great story,

Corey

Cecil Arnold
05-30-2005, 4:45 PM
Great story, and I think whoever has those rocking chairs will always have something to remember him and his craftsmanship.

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2005, 5:07 PM
Dave,

Thanks for posting such a great story. It is a great one.

Jules Dominguez
05-30-2005, 6:01 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. You expressed it very well and it is moving.

Nick Mitchell
05-30-2005, 7:16 PM
Very nice story. Thanks. :)

Bob Winkler
05-30-2005, 7:45 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. It made me stop and be thankful for the time we have to make our little impact on the world, and to not waste one minute of it.

Bob

Alan Turner
05-30-2005, 9:09 PM
Thanks so much. I have bought the tools and wood of a few shps where the maker has passed, and never articulated what you have. I hope some as sentive as you will stop around my shop when I pass and have such kind thoughts.

Rob Littleton
05-30-2005, 9:55 PM
I got de ja vous..........

Is this related I wonder???

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19480&highlight=mary

Dave Tinley
05-31-2005, 9:36 AM
Thats the one :)

Richard Niemiec
05-31-2005, 2:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. I get the same feeling when tuning up a "new" flea market acquisition. Just the other day, at a yard sale I picked up a type 9 (1902-'07)#4 stanley, all original, and the iron had barely 1/4 inch of use left on it. Well cared for given all that use, and I couldn't help but think about who used it, took such obvious good care of it, and what they might have made with it, and then, who is going to use it and maybe have the same thoughts after I pass from this earth. Motivates me to take good care of the plane and pass it on before I die so at least I can tell the new owner what I made with it!

Rich.

Jerry Olexa
05-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Dave that is a great story and expressed very well....Thanks..

Bart Sharp
06-01-2005, 12:01 AM
What a great story, Dave. I hope that when I pass, my family will realize that the real treasures worth holding onto are those very scraps of paper that I've used to jot down notes and organize my own thoughts. Just about everything else we do or say or write is filtered in some way for the benefit of others, but those private little messages are truly a window into who we are, even if it is something as simple as a handwritten cutlist.