PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning day

steven c newman
09-11-2013, 3:54 PM
Had a couple saws that were in need of a cleanup. One was getting very rusty. Took it outside, placed a plank on top of the new saw bench, and sanded away all the red stuff. Some metal polish and fine steel wool under the sander was next. then the handle was cleaned up, and the brass all shined up.270710270711270712270713An tech is just barely there. Something about "Plymouth Rock". Medallion says it is a Pheonix Warranted.

as for saw #2. Plate just needed scrubbed down, but the tote needed cleaned back to bare wood. Brass got shined up as well270714270715270716Haven't found any etch on it, yet. It does have a nib, though. Medallion is another Pheonix Warranted. Bolts are brass. I think you all know the third saw in the group. These three saws cost a whopping $1.57 !!

third saw to be cleaned up, while the BLO cured on the #2 saw. It is just a Warranted Superior 10 point crosscut saw, just over 20" long. I shined the steel hardware up, as the rest wasn't too bad270717

Nibbed saw is a 7 pointer, and the Plymouth Rock saw is a 9pointer. Not too bad?

Chris Hachet
09-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Sweet! I need the inspiration to get a few of my rust hunt finds cleaned up....

Tony Shea
09-12-2013, 9:33 PM
I dont recommend leaning your saws like that for an extended period of time. That is a big cause of the gradual bow you see in a lot of vintage saws. At the very least hang the saw from the handle.

george wilson
09-12-2013, 9:39 PM
Believe it or not,a 17th. C. long barreled fowler got a very pronounced bend from being leaned in a corner for many years. Valuable gun,too. It was a flintlock REVOLVER! French,with a large amount of relief chiseling and engraving on it. A lovely piece of work.

steven c newman
09-14-2013, 1:58 PM
Need to install a few more long screws in the overhead joists down in the Dungeon Shop. Already have a dozen hanging around down there. One screw to hang each saw by it's tote.

Anyone hear tell of the Plymouth Rock brand of saws? Medallion says it is also a Pheonix Warranted, and the tote sure looks (and FEELS) like it was an Atkins made one.

That other PW saw has a nice looking tote? Feels like an Atkins made one. Might be newer/older than the other PW saw?

The thumbhole needs a good sharpening, but still has some decent set, should be alright.....for a $1 saw....

The other two cost a quarter a-piece.....expensive stuff.....