PDA

View Full Version : Personal Shadow Box for my military stuff

Brandon Ketchum
09-11-2013, 8:06 AM
I am pretty boot to woodworking, have only been at it for less than two years, but I enjoy it to no end. I recently was medically retired from the military and now have an opportunity to do this full time. I will be going to an actual woodworkers school to greatlly improve general skills. I know this is supposed to be finished, but I wanted to show/explain how I did this and how to do it better or more effeciently next time. i used 3/4" walnut with some danish oil and minwax poly gloss finish. the box in its entirety is 24" x 12" x 3 3/8" I used a plan as a reference out of a book, just different dimensions. I made all of my miters on my table saw, and i feel that the 3/4" miters came out great. the top trim that i will cover the glass wtih is 3/8" x 1 1/8" and those are the miters I just cant seem to get accurate with.I have 1/4" by 7/8" glass stops that line the inside perimeter of the lid. I dont really have the ability to resaw yet, butcut my pieces in a manner that i was able to match most of the grain. I went a little bit top shelf on the hardware beings I am keeping this one and used brusso 1 1/4 x 1/2 hinges, the rockler mortise lock and some brass feet. I am not too sure what i should do with the knot in the left wall either. Ive got some thick skin and truely want to improve my abilities, so please break it down. also, the base is 1/4" birch plywood and some felt, which sits in a 5/16x 1/4" dado groove. I very much appreciate any insight/advice/better options.

Mark Valsi
09-11-2013, 9:41 AM
First, thank you for your service to our country.

As I looked at that project, the first thing I thought was that all those medals deserve much better wood!! I realize that you are new to WW, so perhaps in a year or so, you will redo this project and use some very nice wood to enhance the contents. By then your skills will be up to the level that you will have no problems with the miters.

Brandon Ketchum
09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
What kind of wood do think would look better? I havent used a lot but im going to use some on my next project that I found. Its kauri and I thought it looked good.

Biff Johnson
09-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi Brandon, it looks real good for an beginning project! I think the wood may be better looking in person, it has kind of a stained pine look in the pictures. Only critique I can make is learn to make your joinery seamless. Try building a miter sled to cut airtight corners...on a ww forum that's the first thing we look at! You will learn plenty following the posts on here...I know I have!

Joe Hillmann
09-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Trying to cut miters with the miter gauge that comes with most table saws will often lead to frustration. I built a miter sled to help me make near perfect miters. It slides in the miter slots on the table.

Brandon Ketchum
09-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I am making a miter sled since i recently bought a new table saw. I am having a little difficulty with it, but im going to get it down. I am also going to use a shorts jig instead of just using a stop block on my miter gauge/fence. I have been looking at the various jigs i can make to increase accuracy and effeciency. im just trying to get ahead of myself with my new found free time. Thanks much, I appreciate it.

Brandon Ketchum
09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I def rushed it. i just wanted to get some kind of constructive criticism. all my friends and family wont tear it down at all. after reviewing, i agree that the finish did not look well. now that i have the glass i will make a few changes and complete. thanks for yor honesty

Von Bickley
09-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Brandon,

Welcome to SMC. I know that you will enjoy visiting with us. You did not mention where you are located.

Thanks for your service......
319th. USASA / 1968 - 1970

Brandon Ketchum
09-11-2013, 1:35 PM
I live in Davenport, Iowa but am originally from Wisconsin and have lived everywhere in the past 10 years. 15 countries i think. i will never leave the midwest again

Gus Dundon
09-11-2013, 3:08 PM
Wow. That was a surprise. You did a great job. Thanks for posting!

Brandon Ketchum
09-11-2013, 3:31 PM
you are welcome. thank you sir for complimenting my work, its definately a continuous process

Brandon Ketchum
09-20-2013, 6:35 PM
Thank you very much for suggesting the miter sled, Joe Hillman. It is working out quite nice.

Frank Trinkle
09-20-2013, 8:27 PM
Nice! My wife is a Lt. Col. in the Air Force, and she wants me to build a coffee table with glass top to do sort of the same thing. She wants to put all her medals and other similar things like coins under the glass. I don't have to build it for a while because she is staying in for a few more years, BUT it gives me the excuse to buy new machines!!
"Honey, you want a really NICE table, don't you? It takes Festools to make a nice table like you want!":D

Nice job on the shadow box!