PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Flagstone...

Jim Becker
05-30-2005, 11:44 AM
It was ironic that Brian H was asking about laying flagstone today as that's been my Memorial Day Holiday Weekend project. There has been a very-hard-to-deal-with planting bed right behind the 250 year old portion of our home between the wall and a narrow walkway west to the driveway. (right outside my office window) A real pain in the tuckos to control and almost a hazard to "pedestrians". Well, it's gone, replaced with a widened flagstone walkway that serves to provide better navigation to walkers and also to insure any water is properly drained away from the house.

The area filled up is about 36" wide by 18' long, making for a 60" pathway terminated in a nice bluestone step up to the level of the driveway. The bluestone was the only "tread" that the stone dealer had in wide widths for, um...reasonable...ahm...cost. (not! ching...ching...) But it looks good and isn't going to move anywhere on it's own accord, either. The stone under the step and on the short wall to it's left in the pictures is off the property (from some old stone walls) and is the same limestone that the house is built from. This job wasn't particularly difficult, other than physical, although I should have left a little more gap between the initial stones I laid. In retrospect, I should have done a "dry fit" to get the exact spacing to match up the beginning and end of the 30" wide stones to the length of the inset drain. Next time...if there is one...

(14) 60-pound bags of mortar went into this job so far, with one or two remaining to grout the gaps between the stones as well as fill about a 3" area between the walk and the wall. (That will wait until next week, however...time to make some sawdust!) I may add a few more stones to the top of the short wall, too, to even it out, if I can find the "right ones" that are undoubtedly lurking somewhere along the 800' or so of old walls on the property.

Obligatory Pictures:

After cleaning out the vegetation and loose soil from the old bed, a layer of 3/4" crushed stone was installed and tamped after the drain was inlayed and hooked up. (I planned for this drain when I took the gutter drains underground several years ago)
The first stone gets laid
End of the day on Saturday just before the rains hit...'seriously underestimated the amount of mortar required so a trip to the 'depot to pick up more during the storm was effected
End of the day on Sunday with the entire walkway installed, the step seated in mortar and the small wall built
Detail of the step and small wall

Joe Mioux
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi Jim:

YOur flagstone project looks great.

The pic appears that this is a pretty shady and moist area. Good job on elimating both issues. -- pedestrian and water.

Good work
Joe

Jim Becker
05-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Joe, it is shady as there is a very large ornamental weeping plum tree just to the right of the walkway as well as it's on the north/north-west side of the house. As you can make out, it's also where we move the big indoor plants outside "first" to avoid burning them in the sun, especially the banana. Lots of "hot birdie action" there, too, as there is a large squirrel-proof feeder than hangs outside my office window and they love to perch in the plum tree. Catbirds are also nesting in the big burning bush hedge to the right of the walkway and tree, too.

Here's a pic from the other end after I finished off the driveway to step area.

Brian Hale
05-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Looks GREAT Jim!! Really finishes off that area nicely.

Soooooo Jim, now that you've got some hands-on experience under your belt, i'm in a position to offer you a rare oppertunity hone those skills to perfection! :D :rolleyes:

Nice job

Brian :)

Jim Becker
05-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Soooooo Jim, now that you've got some hands-on experience under your belt, i'm in a position to offer you a rare oppertunity hone those skills to perfection!

Maryland? Never heard of the place... ;)

Ernie Nyvall
05-30-2005, 2:50 PM
Good job Jim. It does make for a nice clean walking area.

A tractor with a front end loader comes in real handy doesn't it. Since I got mine a few years back, I can't see how I did without it. Lots of dirt to move around here, not to mention moving a couple of heavy machines into the shop.

Ernie

Jim Becker
05-30-2005, 2:56 PM
A tractor with a front end loader comes in real handy doesn't it. Since I got mine a few years back, I can't see how I did without it. Lots of dirt to move around here, not to mention moving a couple of heavy machines into the shop.

The loader is the single most productive implement for the machine...both Dr. SWMBO and I use it extensively. In fact, I'd pretty much be comfortable saying that over 75% of the usage is with the loader. No question, it's likely "paying" for the tractor on a pretty good amortization rate.

Thanks for your kind comment on the walkway. It's the kind of outdoor project that will be appreciated for years to come, despite any imperfection due to rank-amateur masonry skills. :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
05-30-2005, 3:59 PM
[QUOTE= No question, it's likely "paying" for the tractor on a pretty good amortization rate.

Absolutely. I could not have rented mine the number of hours I've put on for the price I paid. And then there is the convenience of it there when I need it.
I haven't gotten SWMBO on it, but here is someone in training. Our newest grandson who visits every weekend has got to go straight to the tractor when he gets here.

Ernie

Chuck Kiser
05-30-2005, 5:31 PM
Nice job on the walkway Jim! Too bad about the orange tractor though. I guess they ALL can't be JD's.;)

Ernie Nyvall
05-30-2005, 6:32 PM
Too bad about the orange tractor though. I guess they ALL can't be JD's.;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the only thing good about a green tractor is that you can hide in the bushes when it breaks down in 6 months. :D

Jim Becker
05-30-2005, 7:42 PM
Too bad about the orange tractor though. I guess they ALL can't be JD's.

Well, you know...with three great Orange dealers within 10 miles vs one so-so green dealer... Actually, when we bought the property an old Kubota L-210 came with it and since I wanted 4WD, a loader and a non-belt-driven mower deck, I traded it in at one of the local dealers. At that point, I didn't even know there was a JD dealer around here. When I was upgrading to my present machine to get the backhoe, I actually did look at the JD equivalent that was due out. It was a nice machine, but unexpectedly had a lot of plastic in places where the Kubota is all steel. Both are made off shore, so I stayed with what I knew. It also cut my cost more since I could retain the same mower deck, too. In the end, I'd be happy to own and use either brand. Both companies do a nice job on these CUTs and sub-CUTS.

Chuck Kiser
05-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Ernie & Jim

Its funny about guys and their tractors, I think we all know that 'almost' any will do a fine job, but once you get one you like, no other brand will compare. Truth be known, I got JD cause my neighbor owns the local dealership;) .

I have my eye on a real sweet Kubota KD23 mini excavator. That is one NICE little machine.

Jerry Olexa
05-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Jim nice job and a good solution. Also a bit hard on the back I'm sure. Ties in nicely with the age and character of your home. Good work, nice results!