PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Stamp Mounting Question

Scott Shepherd
09-10-2013, 6:58 PM
I have a wooden block with the foamy cushion on it, made for stamps. I cut my rubber stamp, but this time, the premade wooden blank didn't have adhesive on the cushion , so I just have this block with the cushion and my rubber stamp. I have good quality acrylic tape, but wasn't sure if that stuff would stick or not. It's a 1 shot deal for me. I have 1 block and it's already late (thanks to them shipping the block to my neighboring building that's unoccupied, so it's sitting inside the door from being dropped in the mail slot, but it has to tenant), so I need to get this wrapped up by in the morning.

Before I screw this thing up, I thought I'd ask.

Scott Shepherd
09-10-2013, 7:02 PM
Uh Oh! None of my tapes are sticking on a test spot. I'm trying to stick it to the neoprene cushion and it's not even remotely close to sticking. Any ideas? Need to adhere rubber stamp material to textured neoprene surface. The surface looks like textured rubber, but it's side view looks like neoprene.

Isaac Clarke
09-10-2013, 7:10 PM
I've used silicon glue on neoprene with good results before, its usually found in craft/fabric shops :)

Scott Shepherd
09-10-2013, 7:14 PM
Thanks Isaac! Think it'll stick neoprene to the slick rubber of the stamp? It's a BIG stamp! 4" x 5"!

Scott Shepherd
09-10-2013, 7:24 PM
DOH! Should have used the old brain first. Went to the manufacturers website and saw that they sell rubber cement for mounting rubber stamp material to cushion material. Who would have thought, rubber cement to glue two pieces of rubber together...... :D

Isaac Clarke
09-10-2013, 7:36 PM
DOH! Should have used the old brain first. Went to the manufacturers website and saw that they sell rubber cement for mounting rubber stamp material to cushion material. Who would have thought, rubber cement to glue two pieces of rubber together...... :D

:D

I use Silicon glue for everything a customer may touch. Its not brittle like CA and flexes without giving way :) Get some in and test it on stuff, you'll love it :) I've stuck glass to wood, glass to glass, acrylic to fabric....all sorts :D

Steve Clarkson
09-10-2013, 8:53 PM
Steve, I don't screw around with wooden blocks and rubber pads anymore......I just wash the stamps off with water and slap it on a 1/2" thick clear acrylic block.......it sticks very well, yet you can peel it right off to reposition it......with the clear acrylic, the person using the stamp can see right through to position the stamp........and lastly, it stamps better than it does using the block and pad. JMHO.

Bill Cunningham
09-12-2013, 9:30 PM
Ordinary contact rubber cement you can get in any hardware store. usually comes in a 4oz bottle/can w/brush.. Any dive shop has it, they call it wetsuit glue, it also comes in a tube for installing tire patches. Put a 'thin' coat on both pieces, and wait for it to dry most people are too impatient. if you can touch it with the BACK of your finger and it's no longer tacky, it's ready to stick together(your finger 'tip' has oil on it and will ruin the contact) Do it right the first time, because once their together, you will never get them apart without damage. That's why they call it 'contact cement'.. Also try not to touch the rubber 'printing' surface of the stamp, or oil from your finger tips will prevent it from picking up ink properly. Finger tip oil does not seem to bother polymer printing surfaces, only rubber ones..