PDA

View Full Version : Re sharpening band saw blades, a question

Bob Glenn
09-10-2013, 2:00 PM
I've watched a few youtube videos about do it yourself band saw blade sharpening. In most cases, the blade is removed then the outside tip of each tooth is ground a bit to put a new point on it. The gullets were never touched. I am wondering if the same affect could be had if you put the blade back on the machine with the teeth pointing up instead of down. Then turn the machine on a hone the tips with a stone. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Richard Coers
09-10-2013, 2:23 PM
Sounds like a plan to win the Darwin award. What you will do with your plan would take the point off the tooth and make it flat. Much different than sharpening it.

Bob Glenn
09-10-2013, 5:39 PM
From the videos I've seen, it looks like that is exactly what they are doing, one one tooth at a time. One method claims it will only work for three or four times, before the blade can no longer cut, but in his tests, he found a sharpened blade cut faster that a new one. I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting. I'll post the results.

HANK METZ
09-10-2013, 6:01 PM
That used to be a time- honored tip long ago; stoning a radius on the back at the same time was also advised to decrease the cut radius.

Gus Dundon
09-11-2013, 3:01 PM
When I resharpened my band saw blades, I just followed the direction of the tooth and swipe the sharpening stone in and out on each teeth. Didn't really work for me.