PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bandsaw blades

John Hart
05-30-2005, 8:00 AM
Well, now that I finally got a decent bandsaw in the shop, I'd like to start resawing some wood. I'm getting quite a bit of walking in the blade so I checked some previous threads to see what my problem is. It's the blade no doubt. I checked pricing on blades that would do the job but they're a bit steep and then I ran into a Fleabay deal of custom 1" blades at $1.89 a foot which was more within my budget. These are 1 TPI blades. Is that too coarse for my application? (I have a Delta 14", 3/4 HP with a 6" clearance)

Any advice or sources would be most appreciated.

Thanks

George Summers
05-30-2005, 8:22 AM
Just my opinion, but I think you will find that a 14" bandsaw has a hard time using 3/4" blades, much less 1" blades. I have good luck with ½" blades using 3-4 TPI. I suggest that you contact TimberWolf (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/). they will give you excellent advise on what to use and I have never spent over $17 for a blade from them, usually in the $13-$15 range.

George

Andy London
05-30-2005, 8:25 AM
That is too wide a blade for your BS (IMO), I generally do not suggest anything over 5/8, I personally find a 1/2" works best but I also resaw using 1/4" at times....we resaw every day and a lot of wood using one of two 14" Delta's.

I am currently buying my blades from Hakansson as they have a factory here in Halifax, Sweedish firm and their blades are excellent. Prior to that I used Timberwolf, Suffolk but the price was getting out of hand....we go through a blade every two weeks, sometimes less, mainly due to the woods we are using.

I have found the Hakansson blades last every bit as long, are about 35% less and I just call and order what I want and they are ready the next morning for pick up.

I don't have the types I am using here at work, I believe it is Silco but can check this evening and let you know if that is any help.

Andy

Bob Wilkerson
05-30-2005, 8:25 AM
I'd go with 1/2" max blades from Suffolk or Highland Hardware. You won't be able to get adequate tension on a 1" blade to work right on the Delta.

Bob

Robert Johnstone
05-30-2005, 8:36 AM
From personal experience 1/2" Woodslicer blades from Highland Hardware work phenomenally well on Delta 14" BSs. They tested best in FWW. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Mark Singer
05-30-2005, 9:10 AM
John,

I would get a 1/2" 4 TPI raker from Timberwolf...that is Sufolk or PS Machnery.
It is also good to have a 1/2" 10TPI .... .025 Kerf joint blade, Lennox and Timberwolf also make that. If you are cutting tight radii a 1/4" blade is handy.

The blade lead or walking can be eliminated by adjusting the position of the blade on the tires. If it is forward , it will cut to the right. If it is back of the crown on the tire it will cut to the left. By adjusting and trying, you can find a neutral area where it cuts straight.

lou sansone
05-30-2005, 1:42 PM
I agree with most of the posts. I have played around with all types of blades on my 36" band saw, including carbide tipped blades ( not cheap when you get in the 19'6" range ) and still find that the best cutting one is like mark has said. 1/2 timberwolf 3-4 tpi.

lou

Mark Singer
05-30-2005, 2:56 PM
Lou and John,

Actually the Lenox Trimaster is by far the best blade I have used and Starrett has a close second....but , in the price range John is suggesting...I would go wit the Timberwolf. The Trimaster will brobably outlast 30 Timberwolfs which makes it a good value. On a 14" bandsaw it may not make sense.

I agree with most of the posts. I have played around with all types of blades on my 36" band saw, including carbide tipped blades ( not cheap when you get in the 19'6" range ) and still find that the best cutting one is like mark has said. 1/2 timberwolf 3-4 tpi.

lou

Mike Cutler
05-30-2005, 10:29 PM
1/2" woodslicer from Highland Hardware. I've used the Timberwolf's on my 14" BS and like them quite a bit, but the 1/2" Woodslicer was far and away the better of the resaw blades in that price range for me. I have a Jet 14" BS with a riser block on it.
Mark is right about the Lennox blades. They are really nice. I have a 1" Tri-Master and a 1" Bi-Metal for my 18" BS. The Tri-Master cost some big bucks, but so far the performance has been worth it.
Here is a link for blades. http://www.toolcenter.com/Lenox/93.5blades.htm No affiliation, just a happy customer.
If you can get one of Louis Ittura's catalogs it is well worth having. Essentially it is a primer on the 14" bandsaw, and Louis is partial to the Delta's. There are lots of goodies in his catalog to "soup up" your bandsaw.

John Hart
05-31-2005, 6:22 AM
First off, I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to put so much into my question. It's important to me, and I didn't want to fumble around with all the bad choices and learn the lessons on my own. I think I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the Hakansson blades if possible as Andy suggests, but if not, I'll go with the Timberwolf at first. If I'm able to sell turning blanks, that'll justify moving to the Lenox blade. But, regardless of the maker, I'll get the 1/2", 3-4 TPI as everyone seems to agree.

Thanks alot.

Andy London
05-31-2005, 7:41 AM
First off, I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to put so much into my question. It's important to me, and I didn't want to fumble around with all the bad choices and learn the lessons on my own. I think I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the Hakansson blades if possible as Andy suggests, but if not, I'll go with the Timberwolf at first. If I'm able to sell turning blanks, that'll justify moving to the Lenox blade. But, regardless of the maker, I'll get the 1/2", 3-4 TPI as everyone seems to agree.

Thanks alot.

I have one of the invoices, I use a SILCO PC 105" (length for mine) X.025 X 3.

http://www.hakansaw.com

Andy

John Hart
05-31-2005, 7:48 AM
Thanks Andy...I've sent a request for quote to them. Thanks for your help!