PDA

View Full Version : Bearing replacement on Neiko Angle Drill

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 10:53 AM
I just found the parts diagram for my broken Neiko angle drill. I know almost nothing about small motors.

I took it apart and everything seems to be adequate except a bearing marked "Bearing 7R4". I am guessing that is a standard size marking. I do not know where to buy bearings. If this is a $5 or so purchase, I will try to fix the drill.

Where do you go to buy bearings?

Thanks in advance

Glenn Bird
09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Google the web. There are many places that can supply these including Amazon. It appears that lacking a bearing supply store close by that automotive parts stores may carry.

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 11:06 AM
There is a place called "locateballbearings" that has one for $19.95 with shipping. Too much for one small part on a $38 drill.

Dwight Rutherford
09-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I would do a "Google" search for ball bearings in San Diego. I saw a listing for " Idustrial Supply " that would be able to stear you to a local supplier.

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I just found a ball bearing store in my city. Never knew they had ball bearing stores.

Reed Gray
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I have a Kaman distributor near my house. I took my Sioux/Milwaukee drills in to them and they checked the bearings for me. They searched, and found a much better bearing than the standard ones that came with the tool. Note here, you want 'double sealed' bearings. The $38 drills are designed to be used and then thrown away when the bearings are fried. You can also wear out the housing around the bearings as well as the brushes.

robo hippy

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Brian,

Generally any place there is industry, there are bearing stores. We have paper and lumber mills here in our town and have a bearing company locally. When I moved here 32 years ago, and the population was only 19,000 it had a bearing store.

As someone else mentioned, often automobile parts houses will stock bearings as will large garages that perform major work on tractor-trailers trucks.

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks - Ordered from VXB

Scott Hackler
09-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Just take it to a automotive parts store (usually the smaller chains) and tell them you need one. They can usually look the numbers up in a book and even mic the new bearing to double check that the size is exactly the same. At least that is what I do for bearing I need for my lawnmower! The last spindle bearing I bought was sealed and about 1 1/2" diameter and I think it was well under $10.

Dennis Ford
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
A bearing supply store wanted almost $20 each but I was able to buy a tube of 10 bearings online ($30) for my Milwaukee angle drill. I am sure they are not the same quality but they handle dust just a well. Do a little searching before spending $$.

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 3:15 PM
I ended up with 10 for $26 including shipping and tax.

Tim Rinehart
09-10-2013, 4:18 PM
good move Brian, I did same thing a few years ago from Vxb for bandsaw guide bearings. easier/cheaper to just replace than to try and 'encourage' sticky bearings to turn.

Sid Matheny
09-10-2013, 4:34 PM
I use Vxb for bandsaw guide bearings also.

Sid

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 4:57 PM
Good to know, Sid.

Darryl Hansen
09-10-2013, 5:05 PM
Boca Bearing in Florida. The bearing is less than $10 and they ship by mail. If you call them they will lead you through the measurements that are needed to find a replacement. Ask for the sealed bearing. they usually can cross reference any bearing for you. The number I have for them is 18003323256. The measurements for the Milwaukee is 1.655 outside with a .782 inside. If they can't find it for you let me know I think I may have one with current markings on it that I got form them several years ago. DH Oh email bearing@gate.net (might be old)

You may have to grind the race from the bearing to get it off the shaft since they are press fit on. Usually the front bearing is O.K. It is the rear one that is not imbedded in grease.

David C. Roseman
09-10-2013, 5:55 PM
I ended up with 10 for $26 including shipping and tax.

Well done, Brian! With a pack of 10, you are now the go-to guy when my Neiko finally needs that bearing. :) Let us know how the repair goes.

David

Brian Kent
09-10-2013, 7:15 PM
You got it, David.

Bob Bergstrom
09-10-2013, 7:40 PM
I had to use a dremmel with a cut off wheel to free the back bearing off my Milwaukee. Pressing on a new one is easier than getting it off.