PDA

View Full Version : Frame Resaw??

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-10-2013, 9:25 AM
In the book, Woodworking: The Right Technique, put out by the Handyman Club of America, I was reading on how to make a frame resaw. I was wondering if anyone has built, used, or knows anything about one of these saws. Seems to be a good alternative for resawing thicker wood if your bandsaw is as limited as mine. He also recommends a 1-1/4 inch, 3tpi blade, 48 inches long from Olson Saw, which apparently they no longer supply in that length. Any suggestions on where I could get a blade like that? Thanks Lewis

Jeff Duncan
09-10-2013, 9:38 AM
Most large blade retailers will supply blades in any length you need. They simply unroll it to length and weld it. I would use google to track down a few different supplier sand then get several quotes. Having said that 48" is a really short blade? I'm not familiar with the type of saw your describing but I can't imagine it would have much re-saw capacity with a 4' blade? For reference an average 20" bandsaw blade is in the neighborhood of 13' long and re-saws somewhere in the neighborhood of 12" - 13".

good luck,
JeffD

Dave Richards
09-10-2013, 9:45 AM
Lewis, If you're going to build a frame saw for resawing, you could build it to any length you want. How long a blade can you get if they don't offer it at 48" anymore? If you can get a longer one, you could cut it down to suit.

You might also check out Timber Wolf blades and see if they'd have something suitable.

Erik Loza
09-10-2013, 9:58 AM
I was confused as well until I Googled "Frame Resaw"...

..and saw what you were talking about. I wonder if you might get better answers in the hand tool sub-forum? Regarding the blade, I would think that you could contact any of the major online blade vendors and have them just sell you a length of whatever. I would just explain it to them. You'd have to drill the holes yourself but that wouldn't be a big deal. Best of luck in your search.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Peter Quinn
09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I know a local professional furniture maker who specializes in Chippendale reproductions, hand carved ball and claw, etc, resaws all his veneers by hand with a frame saw, says he only has an old delta 14" for curved legs and such. So it's a pretty valid approach from my perspective. You could order a length of BS blade from Suffolk Machine, spectrum supply, Ittura, and I'm sure many others. Highland hardware may have something like that available stock, and there is a speciality catalogue I get whose name escapes me presently that sells frame saws and blades amount lots of other hand tools. They may stock blades too, I'd think you want a pretty thin kerf and enough set to make it go but not make a mess, some 1 1/4" BS blade stock may be more appropriate for high powered high tension machines.

Jamie Buxton
09-10-2013, 10:42 AM
"frame saw" is a good google string, or in your case "frame saw blade". Here's an interesting blog post about them http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/arts-mysteries-blogs/the-emperors-new-frame-saw

Tony Joyce
09-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Try here: http://www.blackburntools.com/new-tools/new-saws-and-related/roubo-frame-saw-blade/index.html

Mike Cutler
09-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Lewis

If you PM Dave Anderson, in the Neander' Forum, He'll provide you with all the info you need on Frame saws.

Bob Glenn
09-10-2013, 2:30 PM
I recently bought German frame saw blades from All The Best Things, on line.

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-11-2013, 7:17 AM
thanks guys for all the help. Think I'm going to make me one of these.

Gus Dundon
09-11-2013, 2:43 PM
I've never tried resawing with a frame. Interesting. Goodluck on your search.