PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw PowerClip

Peter Meacham
09-10-2013, 8:36 AM
Is it possible to PowerClip a photo (jpg) into a circle in Corel Draw 15?

I can PowerClip the photo into the circle but the photo goes beneath the circle and no amount of changing the order of the two elements make the photo visible - all you see is the circle.

Is there another button I need to select or is a jpg not an element that can be Power clipped?

Any advice pls?

thanks,

Pete

Mike Lassiter
09-10-2013, 8:51 AM
1st is the image much larger than the circle? If so you will need to resize the image to be just slightly larger than the circle so it will fill the circle when power clipped.
2nd you can edit the power clip and reposition the image inside the circle to get the placement how you want it.
If the image is a lot bigger than the circle you will see some part of the image within the circle but it may appear to not be showing if say there is a white area in the image that maybe all that shows because that is all the circle area. Like looking at a 12"x12" image thru a 1" diameter hole cut in something.

Peter Meacham
09-10-2013, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike. The circle is 4" and the photo is larger, it should work but the photo inside the container (circle) is not visible.

Wes Mitchell
09-10-2013, 9:40 AM
Is the photo visible if you right click and go to "Edit Contents"?

Peter Meacham
09-10-2013, 9:56 AM
Well, the photo jumps back out of the circle and is visible outside the circle

Gary Hair
09-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Make sure the circle isn't filled, that would block the image. Either that or the image isn't centered on the circle. Right click the circle after you place the jpg inside and select "edit contents". Where is the jpg in relation to the circle? Is it centered? Probably not. Move it where you want it to be, resize, etc., and then right click again and select Finish Editing This Level. One of the two should resolve your problem.

Peter Meacham
09-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Gary, as I say, when I right click on the circle and select edit contents, the jpg jumps back out of the circle, when I select Finish Editing, the jpg jumps back under the circle, not visible.

I guess I don't have this PowerClip concept under control because I tried to place a large red square into the circle, thinking the problem was using a jpg for Power Clipping, but I had the same result, the red square is not visible in the circle.

Darryl Hazen
09-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Check your settings for Power Clip in the Options menu. Sounds like that may be your problem.

Peter Meacham
09-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Darryl

The only setting I find under options is for Centering new PowerClip objects. What settings were you referring to pls.

Pete

Ronald Erickson
09-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm doing some testing to try to replicate the issue. I'm having no issues with powerclipping the picture into the circle by right clicking the picture, clicking powerclip inside, then clicking the circle. I'll update the post as I find things that may cause the issue.

Settings that may cause this behavior:

1. Make sure your View Mode (either under the View menu, or under tools, options, document section, general, view mode) isn't set to Wireframe. Draft, standard, or enhanced show the powerclip properly. If it's set on wireframe, the picture will be in black and white and will only show outside of the powerclipped frame. Inside the frame it disappears.

(Edit: I missed your post about the same issue happening with a large red square. Wireframe mode doesn't show colors so this most likely isn't your issue.)

Edit 2: When you say "jumps out of the circle" when you edit the contents, does the image look like it moves completely out of the circle? Can you see the image outside of the circle, as if the circle is setting next to the image? Or is the circle showing through the image (as it should)? If the image is positioned somewhere else on the screen (outside of the circle when editing the powerclip), it will retain that position when you close the powerclip. Make sure the image is positioned over the circle when you "finish editing this level".

Edit 3: If your centering is set to "Never" (tools, options, workspace, powerclip frame, auto-center new content), it will leave the picture exactly where it starts (outside of the powerclip frame). You would need to manually move it to the position you want by editing the powerclip. A powerclip frame is just a window to whatever is inside it, with the shape of the frame being the shape of the window. If the image is outside of the viewing area of that window, you won't see the image.

Edit 4: Time for pictures. When you edit the power clip, if it looks like picture 1, the picture is out of the powerclip frame and won't show when you finish editing. Image two is what you want to see.. the powerclip frame will show through the picture. When you close the frame (finish editing, picture 3), only that portion of the image inside the frame shows.

Gary Hair
09-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Gary, as I say, when I right click on the circle and select edit contents, the jpg jumps back out of the circle, when I select Finish Editing, the jpg jumps back under the circle, not visible.

I guess I don't have this PowerClip concept under control because I tried to place a large red square into the circle, thinking the problem was using a jpg for Power Clipping, but I had the same result, the red square is not visible in the circle.

Start over with a circle drawn over the jpg so that the jpg is exactly where you want it to be in the circle. Now select the jpg and powerclip it into the circle. What happens when you do this?

Martin Boekers
09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I believe that the image isn't centered in the circle. Try it both ways with the image out of the circle when you power clip and with the image inside the circle. When you right click on the circle (after Power clipping) you have a choice edit or extract, edit allows you to move or size the image, extract reverses the power clip. When Done select finish. Also make sure the circle is clear. If need be you can change the color or stroke of the circle too at any time with the pen outline tool.

Peter Meacham
09-10-2013, 9:20 PM
Ron

Thanks for all the research and testing.

Your edit #4 comments did the trick. I needed to drag the photo back into the circle after I went to edit contents.

I think I have got it now.

Thanks again to all for your assistance

Pete