PDA

View Full Version : "I'm Screwed"

James Melby
09-10-2013, 7:16 AM
Not really, but i wanted to have a punny title.

I learned early on that a screw was always more than just a screw. There are specific screws for specific applications. Coarse thread for soft woods, fine thread for hardwoods, drywall screws are for drywall, etc...

my local mom 'n pop just recently quit carrying bulk boxes of Spax brand wood screws (I think I was the only one who ever bought them), so I'm off to the Internet to find a new source of screws.

I've reviewed several of the threads regarding screws, and found plenty of agreeable information. Most folks seem to be of an accord with myself on what makes a good screw. Here's a couple links for anyone that want's to catch up. I won't rehash what has already been adequately and eloquently said:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?102136-Possibly-the-best-screws-ever
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?24776-Screws-Spax-vs-others
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161009-Good-place-to-buy-screws

I'm leaning towards a few of the offerings from Rockler (the square-x and the GRK). But what's not described adequately for any of the screws is wether they are straight conical heads (at what angle), or accursed bugle heads. I've found that having a straight conical head that perfectly matches the angle of your countersink is a sure fire way to get a screw to stop dead and tight at exactly the right depth. Bugle head screw invariable sink past the countersink. All my countersinks are 82 degrees - what is the angle on the two afore mentioned screws?

peter gagliardi
09-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Bugle head screws are almost if not always a "Sheetrock" screw meant to fasten it to a wall without paper tear . They are hard and brittle which makes them break. "Wood screws" are of the countersunk head variety, and there may be a little difference between makes as to the angle. They are typically tough, but not brittle to avoid breakage.

Peter Quinn
09-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Grk's and most European screws have a 90 degree angle, they should sit fine in your American 82 degree counter sink holes, but the reverse is not true. Often when hanging drawer slides I've been vexed when we run out of "euro" system screws and somebody picks up 5/8" wood screws from the local hardware store, they don't seat properly in a 90 degree hole. Fussy, yes, but its just not quite right.

Erik Christensen
09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
check out mcfeeleys - they are the place to go for any kind of screw you can imagine. I like Spax and keep a full assortment of lengths in #6 & #8 on hand

James Melby
09-10-2013, 2:55 PM
...most European screws have a 90 degree angle....

I didn't know that was the European angle. Thank you so much. Having lived in Europe for a number of years (but not doing any serious woodworking while there), I have a wide assortment of European hardware and fasteners. This explains why I haven't always been getting that 'locked-up' feeling from a snuggly seated conical flat head screw. I appreciate that a Euro spec screw (at 90°) will "fit" into a 82° hole, but there will be a fair amount of 'mushing of wood' to get into the hole. I think I'll focus on US spec screws, or see what's available in 90° counter sinks. Yes - I too, am that fussy :-)

Ron Kellison
09-10-2013, 2:59 PM
Lee Valley carry Spax screws. I don't know how their prices compare to Rockler et al but they are available is boxes of 100 or 1000. There should be a free shipping week coming up soon.

Ron

John TenEyck
09-10-2013, 4:09 PM
My local HD carries a whole host of Spax screws. The recommendation on McFeely's is a good one More screws than you could possibly ever want or need.

John

Stan Calow
09-11-2013, 6:07 PM
McFeely's. Their catalog makes a good reference for types and uses of screws too.

Alan Lightstone
09-12-2013, 10:04 AM
McFeely's for sure. I'm a total convert to Robertson screws.

Phil Thien
09-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I've purchased mine at Home Depot, but it has been a while since I've purchased any.

John Piwaron
09-13-2013, 8:38 AM
It's also possible that somewhere someone is selling screws with a 100 degree countersunk head. :) Not likely though. I've designed small machines that use some. The specs for them are in my copy of Machinery's Handbook.

McFeely's. And square drive. Square drive is very nice.

HD still has them. I've seen them there recently.