PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 42 series saw sets - regular vs. X vs. W?

Adrian Ponik
09-09-2013, 8:56 PM
Over the last few months I've managed to gather a small collection of hand saws (4 - 2 D8s, a D12, and an EC Atkins that I don't know the model of). I've successfully rehabbed one of the D8s, working on the second, and I figured it was about time to start thinking about vises and saw sets. I know that the Stanley 42 series are by far the most common, and the 42x is the one that most people recommend, but I can't for the life of me find much of a difference between the 42, 42x, and 42w (aka 42ss apparently). The Stanley literature I've dug up online says all of them are good for 14tpi or less. There has to be a difference, but I can't figure out what it is. Thansk.

-Adrian

Joe Bailey
09-09-2013, 9:20 PM
the 42X is a dual-action set; it clamps the blade before the hammer bends the tooth against the anvil. The others can slide up as you set the tooth,

Charlie Buchanan
09-09-2013, 9:44 PM
+1 on the 42x dual action. Really works well and easiest to learn to use well. Old Wentworth No. 1 or No. 2 (long jaws) are good vises if you can find them unbroken. TFWW makes a similar quick release design vise with modern steel as opposed to cast iron.

Jim Koepke
09-10-2013, 2:39 AM
The 42X is the preferred model.

Search ebay for > stanley 42 saw set < and it will list the three different types of the #42. Look at the pictures and you will soon be able to tell them apart.

The saw holding plunger is a nice feature. The anvil adjustment is easier to figure out than on some other saw sets. It is also easier to set it for repeatability.

One of the better deals I have seen on one was when it was incorrectly listed. Another member here picked up that one. Often a #42X is listed as a #42. If you can tell the difference sometimes you can win an auction if others do not know at what they are looking.

I have two with the intention of possibly filing the hammer down on one for smaller teeth.

jtk