PDA

View Full Version : Pop Up Round Dogs

Jim Koepke
09-09-2013, 4:49 PM
At times there have been discussions of round versus rectangular dogs on benches.

The squared dogs are often left in the hole and pushed up as needed.

Why not do this with round dog?

So in my latest endeavor of making a few more dogs a few were made just for this purpose:

The holes were drilled with brad point bits starting with the larger one to drill a space for the lip around the bullet catch. It also made it easier to center the second bit than working the other way around. The small bore has to be deep enough if the bullet catch has a shaft coming out of the back.

The bullet catch is also aligned with the grain for strength.

Placing the bullet catch on the side with the cutaway keeps the dog from flexing in use.

The cutaway at the top is about 3/4".

The dowels are ash, lathe turned for a custom fit for my dog holes.

The dowels were made to be a touch longer than the apron for ease of use.

These work great with thin stock being worked for a current project.

There are also no worries about hitting one of these little puppies with any of my planes.

jtk

glenn bradley
09-09-2013, 6:09 PM
Yep. Gotta bag of bullet catches for a song as they had no strikes. Very handy.

I used plasti-dip on the tops originally but have since cut them off to allow them to stay in place and poke up when needed.

Judson Green
09-09-2013, 8:47 PM

I used plasti-dip on the tops originally but have since cut them off to allow them to stay in place and poke up when needed.

Yeah for round dogs.270589
I'm too cheep for those fancy bullet catches though, parts of a whisk instead.

How did the plasti-dip work? Seems like it might do the trick. Had you or are you using it for non-slip holding?

Steve Voigt
09-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Great minds think alike. :) These dogs work great, and for about $2 a pop.
Jim, I like your counterbore method. I chiseled a flat for the catch--your way is probably easier.
My lathe wasn't running when I made these, so I used dowel rod. I've found that the American made 3/4 oak dowel from the hardware store is around .760-.770, so you can just walk around it with a block plane til it fits the hole. The Chinese crapwood dowels from the borg are around .730--too small to work.

Jim Koepke
09-10-2013, 2:13 AM
Great minds think alike. :) These dogs work great, and for about $2 a pop.
Jim, I like your counterbore method. I chiseled a flat for the catch--your way is probably easier.
My lathe wasn't running when I made these, so I used dowel rod. I've found that the American made 3/4 oak dowel from the hardware store is around .760-.770, so you can just walk around it with a block plane til it fits the hole. The Chinese crapwood dowels from the borg are around .730--too small to work.

If someone didn't have a lathe they could likely cut a square piece round with a block plane.

Right Glenn, we likely got ours from the same sale. It is easy to make a strike.

A pair of these came in handy today to help hold some drawer sides steady while being marked for dovetails:

jtk