PDA

View Full Version : Hosaluk Handles & Thompson Tools

Adrian Anguiano
09-09-2013, 4:04 PM
Hosaluk Handles at Packard Woodworks (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-hand-hosa)

I like the Vinyl Style Handles. I was going to buy one of the various makers or make my own. then I noticed a quick change ferrule is expensive, then you need adapters depending on your gouge size.

Then I saw Hosaluk & Oneway Handles. They include 2 Ferrules! That alone is almost the entire cost of the handle. I then saw the Hosaluk Handles at Packard and they offer them in both Steel and Aluminum. How awesome!

So Im thinking either a 22" Steel & 18" Aluminum; or an 18" Steel and 12" Aluminum for my handle needs.

Will Thompsons fit these handles without any other special adapters besides using the set screws? Im about to buy my first few Thompson Gouges now that I'm bowl turning. Probably a 1/2" & 5/8" V Bowl Gouge

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-09-2013, 6:16 PM
I have both the Hosaluk and the Oneway handles. I keep a Thimpson 5/8" gouge in the Hosaluk. Both brands are drilled 1/2" on one end as 5/8" on the other. I like both but the Oneway handles are heavier and a bit larger in diameter and fit my hands better. Both are great handles. 22" is a lot of handle. I can't imagine what you might want that for except possibly a 3/4" gouge for serious hogging. 16" is plenty for me.
faust

Harry Robinette
09-09-2013, 11:46 PM
I use all Thompson tools and handle's,I really like the way the handle fells in my hand with it's rounded square handle. Also being able to adjust the weight of the handle to the tool makes the tools more comfortable to use. I have always liked a handle for each tool,no messing to use a tool.

charlie knighton
09-10-2013, 7:39 AM
thompson sell a knock off of hosaluk insert/adapter in several sizes, they work well

Pat Scott
09-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Thompson tools should fit the Hosaluk handles without any adapters. I would caution against buying a 22" steel handle - talk about heavy! Go 18" aluminum for your 5/8" bowl gouge if you want, but 16" is plenty for a 1/2" or 5/8" gouge.

I don't think I'd buy the 18" for a 1/2" gouge, I'd look at other brands and get 16" instead for it.

Harry Robinette
09-10-2013, 7:53 PM
Even using my 3/4 Thompson V or U gouge I only use a 20" handle unless I'm on my Vega with a bowl 23" or over and then only for roughing I'll go to my 24". All my 5/8 are on 16".

Adrian Anguiano
09-11-2013, 5:29 PM
Do yall think having shot is a deal breaker since these cant hold lead shot?

Looks like they only make an 18 & 12.. is 12" long enough for a 1/2" bowl gouge?

Harry Robinette
09-12-2013, 8:49 PM
Adrian
Tool handles are a personnel thing what we think is all from our personnel chooses. Make a wooden handle the size you want,drill a hole in the bottom so you can adjust the weight with shot (iron or steel both work). This should give you a feel for what weight and length YOU LIKE. Then keep in mind what tool you have in it. The next tool my be bigger
Like I said everyone of my tool's have their own handle set with length and weight for the tool in that handle.

Adrian Anguiano
09-12-2013, 9:22 PM
Well I'd like to sharpen without the handle. For a long handle gouge. So that leaves me with a wooden handle removable ferrule. Don't like those. Build my own metal handle... I'd rather not spend the time. So that means I'm going to buy one. So to minimize money spent and buying something I may not like I wanted to know opinions. I understand its personal preference but I'm not going to buy all the handle makers just to find out what I like. These handles aren't at the local Walmart for me to check out. So this is why I ask.

Pat Scott
09-13-2013, 8:14 AM
IMO, a 12" handle is too short for a 1/2" bowl gouge. For 3/8" and larger you need 16"+.

My 3/8" gouge (1/2" diameter bar) has a 16" handle, 1/2" gouge (5/8" bar) have 16-18" handles, and my big 5/8 gouge (3/4" bar) has a 20" handle.

D-Way also makes nice handles if you haven't looked at his yet. They have a nice plastic coating that is easy to grip and helps insulate the handle. Trent Bosch also makes similar handles.

Scott Hackler
09-13-2013, 9:41 AM
I have a lot of different brands of handles and they all feel different.

Thompsons - Great shape so they won't roll off the bed ways, can fill with shot (comes that way) for extra weight (I dumped mine out because I wanted lighter), tends to be cold in the hand
One Way - ends are bored with different sized holes for more versatility, plastic-esk wrap feels decent in the hand, handles are kind of heavy
Bosch - light weight, rubberized plastic wrap feels decent, color coded for sizes
McNaughton - kinda heavy and "unrefined" feel. The wrap is very hard and has little to no give

I don't own one, but have looked at JoHannes' handles as well. I really like the rubberized tri-lobe hand grip, but you hanve to glue the steels into the handles.... so I didn't purchase one....yet....

So for the ones I currently own (non-wood), I prefer the Bosch for feel in hand and Thompson for design. I do have a plan to buy a foam bicycle handle grip to force over the end of my Thompsons to cushion and remove the "cool metal" feel, but haven't gotten around to it yet. IMO that alteration would put the Thompson in the lead.

John Keeton
09-13-2013, 3:47 PM
I have handled most of the available handles, and have several wood handles that I made. I prefer D-Way to any of them. I will add, that with spindle gouges, the 8" D-Way handle is perfect. I would have never believed that, but Dave assured me I would like them - I do!