PDA

View Full Version : Why bubinga for LV handles?

Christopher Charles
09-09-2013, 3:01 PM
Hello all,

This is _not_ a question about plane handle shape.

Rather, I'm curious about why Lee Valley uses bubinga for plane handles rather than something more locally sourced (e.g., cherry, maple)? I did note the new chisel are maple. Start of a trend?

Rob? Others?

Thanks,
Chris C.

Bill White
09-09-2013, 3:44 PM
'Cause it looks soooo darned good.:D
Bill

Chris Griggs
09-09-2013, 3:51 PM
I've always wondered that too. I assumed that its probably readily available in large quantities, it is sturdy, and they probably wanted something that was both attractive and would distinguish their brand.

Mike Henderson
09-09-2013, 4:26 PM
According to the Wood Database,

Sustainability: (http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/restricted-and-endangered-wood-species/) This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.

Bubinga is a beautiful wood and using it helps the countries which produce it (mostly Equatorial Africa).

Mike

Jim Koepke
09-09-2013, 4:34 PM
There may be other qualities involved with the wood choice.

In my experience rosewood is a good solid material for plane handles. Though it isn't a species as abundant as it was a century ago.

Some of the other hardwoods used for plane handles tend to flex. To me it makes the plane feel less suited to the work.

jtk

Jim Matthews
09-09-2013, 5:52 PM
I gather the stuff machines well, and is hard enough to withstand shop abuse.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-09-2013, 6:14 PM
Having worked a lot with Bubinga, I can tell you it is VERY hard, machines well, and is just plain beautiful. I would much prefer it to cherry for strength, or rosewood for beauty, but not that I don't like those two choices- but prefer Bubinga. Additionally, being a tropical wood, it doesn't have the variations in growth rings that other woods have.

Brian Kerley
09-09-2013, 8:28 PM
I remember reading something a few years ago that bubinga was also cheaper than maple, and that was a contributing factor to using it.

Rob Lee
09-09-2013, 8:33 PM
Hello all,

This is _not_ a question about plane handle shape.

Rather, I'm curious about why Lee Valley uses bubinga for plane handles rather than something more locally sourced (e.g., cherry, maple)? I did note the new chisel are maple. Start of a trend?

Rob? Others?

Thanks,
Chris C.

Hi Chris -

Looks, availability, cost...

When we first released our planes, they actually had maple handles. Maple is just too difficult to stain dark. Cherry would be nice.... but someone else uses that already.... :)

It is important to have a look that is unique in the marketplace - so that your product has a visual signature.

We are working right now on torrefied maple handles for all of our tools, but still have a ways to go. Machining metal is a heck of a lot easier than wood.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Christopher Charles
09-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks Rob, all the answers I anticipated, including the market differentiation, and all make sense.

Your last thought reminded me about a quote from my own field:

"Ecology isn't rocket science. It's much more complicated".

Cheers,
Chris C.