PDA

View Full Version : How stupid is this auction?

Wade Lippman
09-08-2013, 10:10 PM
They are auctioning off what appears to be be new stuff for silly prices (though of course they might not remain silly...)
Everything is sold "as is" and might just fall apart when touched.

So, how stupid is it to actually bid on this stuff? It is maybe a 30 minute drive to pick it up.

I wouldn"t much care to buy a "generator" for $50 and find out it couldn't possibly ever run. Maybe 15 years ago I got some incredible bargains at a Homier show and every single item broke the first time I tried to use it; except a tape measure that just broke last week.

Stephen Cherry
09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Maybe consider it on an item by item basis. I have some cheap tools, and sometimes they can be OK. For example, my harbor freight tire changer and tire irons have paid themselves off several times over.

Something like a generator though, I would want something with a brand name and potential for replacement parts.

Joe Hillmann
09-09-2013, 11:44 AM
That CPE generator is a quality generator. It is an inverter type. It generates about 110-130 volts AC, steps it down to 12 volts DC then steps it back up to exactly 115 volts at 60Hz with a pure sine wave. It is is safe to run sensitive electronics, as well as all types of motors. (some motors won't run without a pure or close to pure sine wave).

Due to the stepping down and up of the voltage the engine on the generator can run at nearly an idle and still produce exactly 115volts and as more amps are needed it will rev itself up as needed. This allows you to run it all day long on less than a gallon of fuel.

The generator is made in china but the company is based out of Georgia, USA with good support and parts availability.

Brand new they are around $600 and overkill if you aren't running sensitive electronics. For the same wattage you could buy a simple generator for less than $100 or for the same price you could by a 7000-8000 watt generator.

With that said they are great little generators. I bought one to run my lasers and computer. I would guess I probably have 200 hours on it so far. It always starts on the second or third pull even when stored outside in sub zero (f) weather. Before I bought mine I did a lot of research on it and the company to make sure I was making a wise purchase.

Also if you need more watts you can buy a second one, wire them together and get 3500 watts, that is why they advertise it as stack able.

Edit: also it is extremely quiet.

Jeff Monson
09-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I have seen quite an increase in the number of online auction sites around here lately. It is amazing at how much people will spend on junk, and overpay for tools.

mike holden
09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
These auction sites are most likely legitimate, items sold are as new and as advertised. The way they make money is that the site charges each bidder a small amount for each and every bid they make. Enough bids at a penny higher each bid and the auction site makes a lot more than the item costs them, and the winning bidder gets something for a low price. What people tend to forget is the cost of all the bids they made leading up to the win, and all the bids they paid for and did not get anything in return as they did not win that auction.
With a penny minimum raise in bid, and ten cents per bid - the auction site makes ten dollars for every dollar bid on the item. I would say that makes for a tidy return on investment.
Mike

Jerome Stanek
09-09-2013, 12:40 PM
That site has a buyers premium of 15% and you have to pay sales tax of 8% the seller pays $25.00 to list.

Wade Lippman
09-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I just placed a bid. There is no charge for it, and it is just like on eBay; it takes my maximum bid and just outbids the last bid.

My concern is that it is strictly "as is" without any statement of condition. They don't claim it works, is complete, or anything. If the generator housing is empty, then I have bought an empty housing. He has no real reason not to be selling junk.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2013, 2:21 PM
These auction sites are most likely legitimate, items sold are as new and as advertised. The way they make money is that the site charges each bidder a small amount for each and every bid they make. Enough bids at a penny higher each bid and the auction site makes a lot more than the item costs them, and the winning bidder gets something for a low price. What people tend to forget is the cost of all the bids they made leading up to the win, and all the bids they paid for and did not get anything in return as they did not win that auction.
With a penny minimum raise in bid, and ten cents per bid - the auction site makes ten dollars for every dollar bid on the item. I would say that makes for a tidy return on investment.
Mike

You're thinking of sites like Quibids... the linked spot is a valid (standard) auction site, like eBay.

Dave Sheldrake
09-09-2013, 5:15 PM
You're thinking of sites like Quibids... the linked spot is a valid (standard) auction site, like eBay.

We have one of those over here Dan, can't remember than name of it but they are always advertising on TV about how you can buy cars for £2,000 (without telling you the bidding fee is another £3,000)

cheers

Dave

Wade Lippman
09-10-2013, 9:41 PM
Well, the generator is up to $105 with two days left.
I can't see paying that much for something that might be entirely useless.