PDA

View Full Version : Auction purchases, including my first hand Disston saws

Bill Brush
09-08-2013, 9:56 PM
A small town near me was having an auction which included several hand planes so I thought I would take a chance and go.

I scored 3 planes; a nosing plane (Chapin - Stephens 1 1/4"), an Ohio Tool company 3/4" skew rabbet, and a Stanley model 81 scraper plane.

I also got a marking gauge via a side deal with the person who bought the box it was in.

For the saws I think I may have gotten a deal since I bought the lot of them for $2.50. At least 4 of the 6 are Disstons. Some are in pretty rough shape, but for the price I think I can find some use for them. Anything you guys can tell me about them would be appreciated. Now I need to get some saw files to sharpen them.

I missed out on the moving fillister plane I really wanted, and the a couple others (a mostly complete Stanley 45), but I couldn't let the damage get too high.

Here are some pictures.

Jim Koepke
09-09-2013, 3:44 AM
That is a good deal on the saws. Spare saw nuts would run you about that just for the shipping.

It helps to have close ups on the saw medallions to date them.

There is medallion dating information at the disstonianinstitute.com

jtk

Bill Brush
09-17-2013, 12:39 AM
My life has been a little too interesting to be fun since I posted the first pictures, but tonight I finally took time to check the saw medallions.

The most interesting one was a pre-1865. It must have been a favorite because the handle is in terrible condition. The bottom jis broken off, and the grip is mended with a carriage bolt. Should I find another handle, make one, or just use it as-is? I am pretty sure it is a D-7.

Two of them, in decent condition, are from the 1896-1917 era. I think one is a 12 and the other is a 16.

The last one is, I think, from post WWII era, but it doesn't match any of the ones on the site. The handle shape doesn't really match any of the saws on the Disstonian Institute site, and the etch just says "DISSTON".

The other two saws are "Warranted Superior" so they could be rebranded Disstons, or just Disston's with replacement medallions, they aren't in very good shape, so I wasn't planning on doing much with them.

I don't want to ruin some priceless artifact but considering their condition I don't see any issues with using them, anyone have a reason to think otherwise?

Max Withers
09-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Bill, I just started at this, but I would clean up that first saw and use it while I thought about what kind of handle to make. I don't think you can repair that one. But you can try to replicate it!

I know what you mean about ruining artifacts, I got a 1870's Disston backsaw a couple months ago, and was briefly awed by it's... awesomeness. It's totally functional but it's not pristine, and therefore not really something to worry about preserving instead of using. If you're going to use it, you will make your own patina.

I cleaned mine lightly (not shiny), BLO'd and shellacked the handle, and have no regrets. Once I sharpen it, I'll post pictures. It's still awesome, and it cuts like a sharp knife through hot... poplar. (I've been working mostly with poplar since I got it, but it also cuts red oak real fast).