PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Tools Needed to Cut Through Wrought Iron

Danielle Fendrich
09-08-2013, 7:25 PM
Hello,
I have recently been looking into a bird after years of experience at volunteer shelters and so subsequently have been researching bird cages. The limit I have is size, yet I (knowing I shouldn't) found a extremely large bird cage for such a incredible price, I couldn't wait to purchase. Then I checked the measurements...................................... .....................
The cage is
42" Length x 30" Width x 48" Height
the measurements including other accessories make it
42" Length x 30" Width x 73" Height.
This is a problem as the area I will be putting the cage is centered at the end of an alcove. And the alcove slants at a increasingly, sharp angle on the left side.
Well I've done the measurements and so far it is impossible to fit the cage. Unless the actual height of the cage decreases 4" inches from floor. This seemed like such a small amount that I am now considering cutting the wheels and a few inches off the bottom of the cage legs. I have had no experience in metal-cutting but someone I know is an engineer specializing in metal! Sadly he is very busy, but he promised to help me as long as I acquire the correct tools. Now I come to the problem, I have absolutely no idea of the correct tools to cut this cage. If anyone could please help with reference to which tools to purchase, it would be greatly appreciated! Any additional information regarding safety gear or anything else required would also be greatly appreciated.

Additional information on the cage is as follows;

1) The cage is made of wrought iron with a substantial powder coated finish. The powder coat is probably exceptionally thick as the cage is made for Macaws, Cockatoos and African Greys; strong beaks, thus strong powder-coat.

2) I guess approximately the legs to be 2-4" inches, but it may vary slightly.

3A) Here is the link to where I will hopefully be purchasing the cage; petsupplies.com/item/avian-adventures-grande-playtop-bird-cage/501146/
3B) A link to the manufacture's description of the product; midwesthomes4pets.com/products/grande-playtop-bird-cages

Dennis Ford
09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
An ordinary hack-saw should do the job. You would need a file to clean up the cut and some way to protect the floor from the resulting bare metal.

Danielle Fendrich
09-11-2013, 1:21 AM
Thank you so much, would a file leave it smooth though? I will be placing the leg ends on the floor............

ray hampton
09-11-2013, 9:31 AM
steel will mar your floor if its are push sideway, a rubber tip will offer more protection

Brad Peceimer
09-17-2013, 2:23 AM
You can purchase rubber "feet" that be applied to the bottom of the cut legs, which will protect the floor and make it much quieter for the birds to use.

Most hardware stores have these, if not you can buy rubber sheeting (EPDM would be the best) to make some pads which can be cut with heavy scissors and then use weather striping adhesive to attache them to the legs.