PDA

View Full Version : Pick a tool, any tool...or something closely related.

Rich Riddle
09-08-2013, 5:34 PM
I can choose any tool or anything closely related for turning 50. I have quite a few tools already and need to determine what might be a good addition. A bench proves interesting, but the shop would most likely need a more utility bench that those that look like works of art.

Missing:
Good Bench
Router table though I do have the Incra lift and Porter Cable 7918 router
Your suggestions

Already in shop:

Hammer K3 sliding table saw, Inca 10" 259 table saw, Delta/Rockwell variable 17" drill press, 14" Minimax Jointer/Planer, Minimax 4 HP shaper, Aggazini 600 Bandsaw, Powermatic 143 wood/metal bandsaw, Powermatic 719T mortiser, Powermatic 12" disc sander, Delta 6 x 48 belt sander, Jet 16/32 sander, Jet horizontal band saw, Jet 1.5 HP JWS 22CS shaper.

Numerous hand tools

Dave Zellers
09-08-2013, 5:38 PM
Power feed for the shaper?

mreza Salav
09-08-2013, 5:42 PM
whenever I think I have enough clamps I realize I need more in my next project....

Jim Matthews
09-08-2013, 5:43 PM
The cabinet maker's bench from Blum Tool is an interesting design.

It's a torsion box, and could be readily adapted to fit the Noden Adjusta Bench legs.
The Blum design relies on pipe clamps, and may be a little coarse for those with refined taste,
but it's built well and should serve dual duty; handtool use and supporting power tool apps.

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/fullsizeworkbenches.html

Andrew Hughes
09-08-2013, 5:44 PM
Wood , always buy more wood!

Stephen Cherry
09-08-2013, 6:14 PM
I've been thinking about a bench also. Something that combines a real pneumatic face frame table with overhead clamps, with the kreg clamping table (edge clamps), with a Lie Neilsen front vise, with lots of holes to be used as a downdraft table and as dog holes. Just a concept, but you could spend a significant about of money.

Sam Murdoch
09-08-2013, 6:20 PM
Work benches you say - Here are a few options and the costs to match -

CHEAP but functional http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html

Middle line (on sale) with additional incentives http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005401/15507/Sjobergs-Nordic-Plus-1950-Workbench.aspx

Very nice and with a lead time while it is custom built http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1482

A bench is a very good tool to own.

The Festool MFT is handy http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/mft-3-multi-function-table/p/495462/ but that just gets you going on your birthday presents for years to come.

Happy Birthday Rich - now go out and make something of yourself - er - I mean make something out of wood :D.

Andrew Kertesz
09-08-2013, 6:59 PM
I don't see a lathe listed in your inventory... If you're interested in sliding down that slippery slope.

David Helm
09-08-2013, 8:36 PM
Sounds to me like you've got everything you need. Send the money for new tool to me:D

Michael W. Clark
09-08-2013, 9:02 PM
How about a lathe, vacuum press for veneering, or some finishing equipment (HVLP, turbine, etc.). The suggestion for a feeder is a good one too.

Rich Riddle
09-08-2013, 9:35 PM
How about a lathe, vacuum press for veneering, or some finishing equipment (HVLP, turbine, etc.). The suggestion for a feeder is a good one too.

Michael, you're always very kind, especially since the aforementioned Minimax shaper was destined for your garage. You and the others have good recommendations. The garage houses an old Walker Turner lathe that a half-century old mind forgot to mention. It's not much of a lathe, but there is one in there; just hasn't been down in a few years.

Kirk Poore
09-08-2013, 10:19 PM
You have a mortiser. Thus, you need a tenoner.:)

Kirk

Michael W. Clark
09-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Michael, you're always very kind, especially since the aforementioned Minimax shaper was destined for your garage.

At least I found out it was gone before I rented the trailer! You got a deal. I see some of those on CL periodically for a lot more and usually in worse shape. I bought a 7518 and am going to build a new router table this winter. That will do me till I get more space. A feeder would be a good addition to the T3. I was going to say mortiser, but I see you have one already.

Beau Cassidy
09-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Measuring tools. You can never have too many measuring tools.

Rick Potter
09-09-2013, 2:06 AM
Let me get this right. You have a 7518 router and a lift, but no router table? I see you have a shaper, but to me, a router table sounds like what you should get next. Even with a shaper, a router table will still be used frequently. I see you plan to make one someday, how bout just buying a good top, and make the rest later.

Rick Potter

glenn bradley
09-09-2013, 4:54 AM
You don't mention what you are using for dust collection although with all those machines I would imagine this is taken care of. If you have to ponder at all when deciding on a new tool, you probably don't need it. Buy some interesting material you might not normally work with and make something fun. Use the space the tool would have taken up to work in :).

Frederick Skelly
09-09-2013, 6:42 AM
Do you already have a really good smoothing plane among your hand tools (Vertas, LN, etc)?

Could you make good use of a Tormek for sharpening?

Do the boutique manufacturers like Bridge City Tools or others offer anything that you might not buy otherwise?

Ahh, decisions, decisions.

Happy Birthday!
Fred

Keith Outten
09-09-2013, 8:12 AM
If the budget allows I suggest a CNC Router. For my money its the best woodworking tool in my shop and the most enjoyable to use. Bruce Page recently purchased a small table top CNC Router, he would probably agree with my suggestion :)

The software available these days makes it very easy to get up and running, in just a few hours you can be cutting parts, engraving graphics, etc.

Jeff Duncan
09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
When it comes to spending money I prefer to spend it on things I can't easily make myself. So for me that would rule out a bench or router table as there's nothing on the market that would be as well suited to me as the ones I could build:D

As far as machinery it would be silly for me to sit here and guess what machine you could use:rolleyes: That's something either you have a need for it, or you don't. For instance, if i were to ask the same question I might get a lot of responses of lathe, as I don't have one. Of course I don't need one either, so kind of a moot point;) If there's a machine you need....then that's what you should get. I'm going to hazard a guess there's no pressing need or you wouldn't be asking this in the first place. Sooooo, maybe a couple nice hand tools? Or maybe an accessory for a tool? Or maybe if someones feeling really generous.....an extension on the garage:D

anyway happy birthday!!!....half a century is a good milestone so enjoy it!
JeffD

Bill White
09-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Didn't see a dust collector listed???
Bill

Rick Potter
09-09-2013, 12:42 PM
OK,

Let me give it another try. How about heating or cooling for your shop? I have a big wall mount AC, and it has really been nice to use this summer, and my simple 220V electric heater takes the chill off in the winter.

Rick Potter

Pat Barry
09-09-2013, 1:23 PM
Since it seems there is no limit, I would opt for a new truck!

Adam Diethrich
09-09-2013, 1:27 PM
Wood , always buy more wood!

Sounds to me like you've got everything you need. Send the money for new tool to me:D

...and there it is :)

A.W.D.

Brian Kincaid
09-09-2013, 2:24 PM
Not sure how you build much of anything without a good WW bench, but I use hand-tools quite a lot.

A router table is a staple for me, but I see you have a solid shaper so maybe your workflow doesn't 'need' a router table (even though you already invested, what $500+ towards one?)

I don't know, buy a Festool Domino LOL.

-Brian

Kevin Bourque
09-09-2013, 3:04 PM
Kegerator.

Paul McGaha
09-09-2013, 3:41 PM
Happy Birthday Rich !!!,

I guess I would suggest a dust collector if you don't have one.

Or maybe some Lie Nielsen or Lee Valley stuff if you use hand tools.

Or some Festool stuff. Some nice birthday gifts there no doubt

Lots of nice things at Woodpeckers.

Hope you pick out something nice and have a great day.

PHM

paul cottingham
09-09-2013, 3:49 PM
I would buy a shooting plane for a birthday gift.

Phil Thien
09-09-2013, 6:22 PM
I would get a Festool Domino, if you don't already have one.

Don Jeansonne
09-09-2013, 8:01 PM
I would recommend a nice workbench. You can even do as I did and build one following Chris Shwartz' s book. I also just got a pin nailer and am very pleased with it.

Tony Haukap
09-09-2013, 8:19 PM
While not necessarily a strictly woodworking tool, and it's probably on a smaller scale than you were thinking, good quality USA made tools are always a a nice addition to any shop... How about a nice ratchet, 80 tooth gear -
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=646272&group_ID=682323&store=snapon-store&dir=catalogand some sockets, inch -
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=631397&group_ID=680885&store=snapon-store&dir=catalogand metric -
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=631398&group_ID=680886&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Rich Riddle
09-09-2013, 9:31 PM
Since you asked about dust collection, I must admit that I have one on wheels that is switched between tools as they are used. The problem is that shop houses a certain person's automobile. It was a concession during purchase of the property.