PDA

View Full Version : Recommended clear coat for plaques

mike wallis
05-29-2005, 6:52 PM
Hi all,
I looking for a clear coat that is clear. Ive been using Minwax which has sort of a yellow/amber look to it and always darkens the piece more than I would like it to. Also I don't know if its made but it would be nice to not have to steel wool between coats because of the grain lifting, is there a product that eliminates or reduces the grain raising?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Mike

Jerry Clark
05-29-2005, 6:57 PM
I like Deft lacquer as it drys fast, is almost clear and does not raise the grain very much- I do sand between coats, but can do that within half hour. I usually spray, but can also be brushed on with good results.:)

mike wallis
05-30-2005, 3:18 PM
Thanks Jerry,
I'll give the Deft a shot. It looks like most stores including Lowes and Home depot carry it.
Mike

Bob Tate
05-30-2005, 3:49 PM
Water based products tend to raise the grain (whiskers) a lot more than solvent based. I am a woodcarver and prefer the Deft over anything else. A carving loses a lot when you start sanding. A neat trick is to rub the surface briskly with a wrinkled up old brown paper sack. It acts like a really fine sandpaper, and makes those fuzzies lay down real nice. I use the brown paper sacks also on woodturnings as my final sanding.