PDA

View Full Version : Looking for log rounds end grain ( AKA Cookies)

Craig D Peltier
09-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi I need to install a 18 inch round end grain log end as thick as 1 inch thick into some end tables that will be bolted to a bed. Of course it can and should be bigger then 18" . I will route it into a circle. I understand michaels crafts has some but I dont think there big enough. So I tried googling them but its hard to word these and find something in a search. Anyone know where I can get some? I do have a logger that he can cut some off of some maples in his log yard and then I would have to dry them, not sure if they will fit in my oven or not. I also understand they will most likely crack.

Any experience with working with these as well?

Thanks

Matt Ellis
09-08-2013, 7:25 PM
Couple of thoughts...if you can wait, check out arborsite.com. It's a chainsaw based forestry forum, and some of the guys over there build and race chainsaws. They cut cookies for fun, and if someone is local to you, he may be able to give you all you want.

If that isn't an option, how about making your own? Glue up an end grain cutting-type board to the required size, and then cut it into a circle with your router.

If you've never made one, here is a good tutorial.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/video/make-an-end-grain-cutting-board.aspx

mike holden
09-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Not sure how helpful this is, but when cut into slices for veneer this way, the slices are called "oysters". Very popular in the 17th century.
Anyway, try searching for wood oysters.
Mike