PDA

View Full Version : Open style tool cabinet

Matthew N. Masail
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I moved around my shop trying to find a more comfortable set-up, and I found that having my back to the wall with the bench about 42inch from the wall give a really nice space and much nicer access to tools than trying to lean over the bench. it also opens up a whole new level of usable wall space.

So I spent the day finally learning how to use SketchUp.... 4 hours later this is what I have:

Depth is 6 inches, the saw storage is base on the current one inside my tool cabinet and it can hold 8 saws, 4 on each side, at 6 inch deep.

The french cleat area is based on a video on the t u b e titled "French cleat storage system for hand tools", seems like a great way and fully adjustable.

I'd like to get your thoughts on it, any suggestion on layout or whatever.... you never know until you start using it and then wish it was another way around!

Bob Glenn
09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
All my tools are stored in this manner. Makes a nice display and I can see what I have, and where its at. Easy access also.

Judson Green
09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I like the open style for the most frequently used tools. Buy I do have a metal mechanics style rolling tool cabinet with all drawers of other stuff. Guess I don't mind leaning over the bench (about 34") to get a tool and what's nice is its really easy to put the tool back. Used to end up with a pile of tools on the bench. The bottom shelf is 3" and each one is ½" deeper going up. Worked out perfect for the little speakers. Not sure where I saw the idea for the saw storage but not something I can take credit for.

Jim Matthews
09-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Simple is good.

I'm not sure how I feel about such narrow shelves,
but mine tend to "collect" more than I intend at the current 10" depth.

Just keep the steel oiled, when in storage.

Jim Koepke
09-08-2013, 1:02 PM
My storage is also open and still a work in progress.

It seems every time I get the plane storage sorted out a few more planes show up.

My one suggestion is to go deeper than 6". A lot of the items that will go into the drawers will be longer than that. Think steel rules, dividers, compass, marking knives and pencils.

You may also want to consider making your sides stout enough to take doors. Even though this is an open design, the future may have need for more storage and adding doors with storage area is a good option to keep in mind.

Here is a suggestion for your future drawings. You are using what is called chain dimensioning. This can cause error to creep in. For a drawing/project like this it isn't all that important. For a more involved drawing it is less likely to introduce errors by having the dimensions originate at the same point of reference.

Here is the original:

Here is a quick sketch to show an alternate way of dimensioning:

Reference dimensions, such as stock thickness, can be made where ever needed for convenience.

The attached thumbnail below is my drawing before adding in the reference dimension.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
09-08-2013, 1:51 PM
Matthew, if you have slob tendencies like me you will appreciate open wall storage. I find I am much more likely to put a tool away right after use and that helps both keep the bench clearer and prevents damage from tools falling off the bench. The other thing you will appreciate is having all 4 sides of your bench accessible for clamping and working with that occasional awkward piece.

Don Dorn
09-08-2013, 1:52 PM
I like it. It's sure a darn sight better than this mess!http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/djdorn/SAM_0002_zps69d25e5c.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/djdorn/media/SAM_0002_zps69d25e5c.jpg.html)

Brian Holcombe
09-08-2013, 2:07 PM
Nice Don. I have mine hanging on a chest height wall cleat as well.

Jim Matthews
09-08-2013, 5:38 PM
You work in a surgical suite, compared to my "Danktum Stanktorum".

Where's the sawdust?
Where's the garbage can full of saws you'll rehab "someday"?

Compared to my slovenly habits, you're a neat freak DD. :)

Bill McDermott
09-09-2013, 9:04 AM
Looks like a fun project. Good piece to practice cutting joints by eye, etc.. Having a place for everything is great... but, I really like leaving a small space front and center for a few items that are in active use. In a process that involves three or four tools, it provides a place just off the bench, but not out of reach. I have a small shelf with a magnetic strip a bit above it that works well.

Matthew N. Masail
09-09-2013, 9:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm going to give it some more thought and then go for it.... I'll post what I come up with.

Jim, I see what you mean about measurements, much neater practice, thanks!

Bill, I kind of thought that the shelf where the french cleat area is would serve for random\in use items, but it's a good idea to have something to hold chisels from roiling... maybe a small raised edge...