PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing water softener question

Floyd Cox
09-08-2013, 8:53 AM
I have a culligan water softener that has had 2 filter housings bust.

I have only hand tightened the clear canisters during filter changes.
any suggestions?

I don't have a picture of the system in place due to the fact that the last time it busted my house was flooded waiting on new hardwood flooring and carpet, everything was removed from house.

There is a pressure regulator set at the meter and one going directly inline before the filter water shutoff valve both set at 40 psi.

Here is a photo that will give you a rough idea on how culligan installed it though.

Lee Schierer
09-08-2013, 8:59 AM
A few questions:

1. What pressure is the incoming water at? Is it a city supply or from your well?

2. When you run water any where in the house, do the pipes bang when you shut the water off? Does your washer cause the pipes to bang when it runs?

3. How old is the pressure regulator?

George Bokros
09-08-2013, 9:01 AM
What do you mean housings bust? Did the canister part just split open, if so it sounds like too much pressure or they were defective canisters.

Floyd Cox
09-08-2013, 9:29 AM
There is a pressure regulator set at the meter and one going directly inline before the filter water shutoff valve both set at 40 psi.

A few questions:

1. What pressure is the incoming water at? Is it a city supply or from your well?

2. When you run water any where in the house, do the pipes bang when you shut the water off? Does your washer cause the pipes to bang when it runs?

3. How old is the pressure regulator?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Floyd,

As Lee asked.....How old are the regulators? When you open and close a valve in the house do you hear any pipes banging? Does you wash machine cause pipes to "bang" when it runs?

Floyd Cox
09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Ken the regulator is not quite a year old , and there is no banging, I have never had excessive water pressure in this house or a fluctuation in the pressure.. I put a gauge on at an outside spigot and it stays around 40 +- 2 lbs

Floyd,

As Lee asked.....How old are the regulators? When you open and close a valve in the house do you hear any pipes banging? Does you wash machine cause pipes to "bang" when it runs?

Duane Meadows
09-08-2013, 2:42 PM
Think I'd try a different brand!